Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Bolt Catch?

AR Bolt Catch?

Are $30+ aftermarket bolt catches like Radian, Geiselle, Wilson Combat, etc. really that much better than mil-spec? Pros and cons (other than cost)? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LowAndLeft View Post
    Are $30+ aftermarket bolt catches like Radian, Geiselle, Wilson Combat, etc. really that much better than mil-spec? Pros and cons (other than cost)? Thanks.
    They're handy. Larger surface area and harder to miss when manipulating. May not fit some forged lower receivers. They cost a little more.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    They're handy. Larger surface area and harder to miss when manipulating. May not fit some forged lower receivers. They cost a little more.
    Did you mean they might not fit some billet receivers? I’ve never run into a bolt catch that wouldn’t fit a forged receiver.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

FCD is the one to buy. Con is price, pros are everything they state on their site. I like the serrated centered variant.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Did you mean they might not fit some billet receivers? I’ve never run into a bolt catch that wouldn’t fit a forged receiver.
    FML. Yep. Insufficient caffeination apparently.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I like the Geissele Maritime release… however, I just want an enhanced release with a better bottom half so I can easily lock the bolt back.

I can do it with the standard release, but like the enhanced ones better.

I’ve never tried an aftermarket bolt catch/release. I have been eyeing the FCD one Wake27 posted. Thats probably the one I’d get if I decided to make a purchase.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    FCD is the one to buy. Con is price, pros are everything they state on their site. I like the serrated centered variant.
    FCD is good.

I like the Badger Ordnance one.

https://www.badgerordnance.com/enhan...ch-249-44.html

IME it’s fit any lower which will fit a GI bolt catch.

As a left-handed shooter, I do like my Geissele Maritime bolt catch. It's swept back so it is easier and more consistent for me to manipulate with my trigger finger.

Aside from having to take the time to install it, and possibly having to buy the special punch for the bolt catch pin, I haven't noticed any con's.
    Last edited by That Guy; 11-10-2023 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Grammar.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Like 'That Guy' I'm a lefty. I have Maritime bolt catches on several of my rifles as well as an FCD Augmented Bolt Catch Rear Biased on one rifle.

I prefer the Maritime over the FCD Augmented because the Maritime has more rearward bias making it easier/surer for a lefty to use IMO. Additionally, the bottom pad of the FCD doesn't have a rearward bias making it more difficult to lock the bolt to the rear with the left trigger finger.

Name:  FCD.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  50.7 KB

The both the Maritime and the FCD are made from 8620 steel per the mil-spec. FCD mentions heat treatment in the product description, Geissele does not. This may be one reason the FCD Augmented Bolt Catch costs double the G Maritime Bolt Catch.

I have broken one Maritime Bolt Catch at the pivot hole. Geissele promptly replaced it.

Geissele also notes: the extended controls of the Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch will partially cover the pin hole for the hammer, a smaller punch may be required to push the
    hammer pin out of the receiver from the left side, and the hammer pin should only be installed from the right side of the receiver.

https://geissele.com/amfile/file/dow...4/product/543/
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 11-10-2023 at 02:02 PM.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List