Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AAC Restoration Program (Ranger 5/Ranger 7 Mini)

AAC Restoration Program and Ranger 5/Ranger 7 Mini

I had acquired a few Advanced Armament Corporation rifle suppressors over the years - the 5.56mm M4-2000 and its 7.62mm cousin the SDN-6. The latter I purchased to support a brief .300 AAC Blackout experiment, and once I moved on from the cartridge, was relegated to the back of the safe. The M4-2000 on the other hand lived on my SBR, and saw frequent use over the years.

In the intervening time, AAC was sold by Kevin Brittingham to Remington/Freedom Group, and was ultimately a casualty when the Group filed for bankruptcy in 2020. The Group was broken up and the component parts sold off; AAC eventually was purchased by JJE Capital Holdings (JJE by coincidence or design also owns America's Ammunition Company, which I'm sure causes no confusion at their headquarters), who are best known for owning Palmetto State Armory. Unfortunately, it also meant that the company was essentially a new entity, and any warranties for products from the original company were no longer honored.

AAC has resumed operations (though now they are the Advanced Armament Company). They are again producing the M4-2000, and apparently have secured a small military contract for the venerable suppressor. They are producing some legacy accessories, such as the Ti-Rant 3-lug mount and the 51T muzzle device (more on that later). And they have recently introduced some new products, namely the Ranger 5 and Ranger 7 rifle suppressors.

They have also started the AAC Restoration Program for former AAC owners. Essentially, owners of cans such as the M4-2000 or SDN-6 could send their suppressor to the new AAC for 'conversion' to the new Ranger 5/7 specifications. But the only part of the old suppressor reused is the ring with the serialized information; you're essentially getting one of the new Ranger suppressors back.

I recently busted a baffle and spacer on my well worn M4-2000, and it was in need of a refinish. Besides the fact that I wasn't shooting .300 anymore, the SDN-6 was a bit of a pig. I decided to send both cans to AAC and have them refinished in FDE. I received a discount since I was sending in multiple suppressors; still the work cost $625 for each can. While expensive, I did not find it out of line with similar work offered by Ecco Machine, and in return I would receive a new, warrantied can, with some notable modern features - without requiring an additional tax stamp and associated waiting time. Considering that both cans were in danger of becoming paper weights, this was an easy decision for me.

Name:  IMG_2090.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  97.3 KB
    Ranger 7 Mini (L) and Ranger 5 (R)

The new Ranger design offers several desirable features compared to the legacy cans -
    1. Universal HUB Mount
    2. Replaceable End Cap
    3. Reduced Backpressure

The Ranger 5 is also overbored (6mm), which at the cost of a db or two adds some tolerance when used with short barrels (like my URG-I). AAC also offers their 51T STAMP interface for the HUB, allowing the use of the legacy 51T muzzle device. Now the 51T had detractors and there were reports of the can loosening under use. The new device not only allows for servicing and replacement of parts, but has also been reengineered for a tighter lockup. Being two of my rifles have the 51T devices installed, I opted for the STAMP adapter, but now thanks to the HUB you have your pick of muzzle devices if you'd prefer a different design.

Name:  IMG_2105.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  52.1 KB
    Ranger 5 (L) and Ranger 7 Mini (R) with 51T STAMP

Some have noted that the Ranger 5 and 7 are shorter and lighter than the original AAC designs; perhaps this is true with the included direct mount adapter, but the 51T adapter makes the Ranger 5 similar in length and weight to its M4-2000 predecessor. Use of a different muzzle device may offer some length and weight savings. Considering my dislike of the size and weight of the SDN-6, I opted to receive a Ranger 7 Mini, which is actually a touch lighter and shorter the full size Ranger 5. The Mini cans are not advertised yet, but Mini versions of the 5 and 7 are in production and you can opt to receive a shorter can.

Name:  IMG_2144 (1).jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  88.0 KB
    Front View of Replaceable End-Cap with AAC Logo

I sent the cans off to AAC on October 9th; they returned on November 2nd - a three week turnaround. Today I was able to put 50 rounds of M193 and XM556FBIT3 downrange through the Ranger 5 using my SBR with Geissele URG-I shorty upper during a brief range session. I started with re-zeroing (a click of windage and a click of elevation at 50 yards and I was back in business), and then followed with some multi-shot presentations.

Name:  IMG_0381.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  98.7 KB
    Ranger 5 on Geissele URG-I

Some initial impressions -

1. They aren't kidding that the new 51T adapter locks up tight. It was so tight that I was actually concerned that I'd end up rotating the suppressor body out of the HUB, though this wasn't an actual problem. So far, this seems like a significant improvement.
    2. The M4-2000 is notoriously gassy; the Ranger 5's reduced back pressure was noticeable. No, it's not a flow-though can - and reduced back pressure doesn't mean no gas, but it is certainly better. Multi-round strings that would've made my eyes water with the M4-2000 were much more tolerable with the Ranger 5.
    3. The Ranger 5 is reportedly a few db louder than the M4-2000 (likely due to the oversized baffles), but I didn't notice much difference.

I also put 10 rounds through the Ranger 7 Mini; the shorter length and larger bore resulted in a significantly louder can. Not unexpected - but also not the optimal pairing. I'll be trying this can on a friend's more appropriate .300 upper and will report back.

50 rounds is hardly comprehensive, but so far I'm pleased with the results. There's nothing revolutionary here, but I think AAC has produced a modern suppressor with some desirable features, and their restoration program is a compelling option for legacy AAC owners.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 11-04-2023 at 08:05 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Thanks for the intel on this. I have something in a .30 cal AAC paperweight in the back of my safe too. Will have to dig that out and check out the pricing & options.

Very fucking cool.
    #RESIST

@JSGlock34 thanks so much for sharing this!

I just sent mine in last week and will see if they can do a mini configuration of the Ranger 5.

I almost wonder if they could make an M4-2000 into a Ranger 7 mini…..

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @JSGlock34 thanks so much for sharing this!

I just sent mine in last week and will see if they can do a mini configuration of the Ranger 5.

I almost wonder if they could make an M4-2000 into a Ranger 7 mini…..

Thanks again!
    Yes, they can certainly take a M4-2000 and shorten it to the Ranger 5 Mini (I was considering this). I think the rule is that they can shorten your can, but not send you back a longer one.

I inquired about changing calibers (I wondered if I could convert the SDN-6 to another Ranger 5) but that wasn't an option. I imagine the roll marks would prohibit that (I can see not wanting to return a can still marked 7.62mm with a 5.56mm bore size). Not sure if going to a larger bore makes a difference - no safety issue there. Might as well ask.

This is very interesting… I have a legacy M4-2000 with permanently attached 51T muzzle devices on two rifles. I’ll have to take a hard look at this…
    Last edited by LJP; 11-05-2023 at 09:15 AM.

Another 100 rounds today - no issues to report. The can works quite well with the shorty URG-I - no tuning required. Did a few drills including the VTAC Half and Half; even on the 10 round/2.5 second string the gas was tolerable, so an improvement over the M4-2000. I'll note that I'm also glad I went with the FDE finish, which nicely complements the Geissele handguard.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Yes, they can certainly take a M4-2000 and shorten it to the Ranger 5 Mini (I was considering this). I think the rule is that they can shorten your can, but not send you back a longer one.

I inquired about changing calibers (I wondered if I could convert the SDN-6 to another Ranger 5) but that wasn't an option. I imagine the roll marks would prohibit that (I can see not wanting to return a can still marked 7.62mm with a 5.56mm bore size). Not sure if going to a larger bore makes a difference - no safety issue there. Might as well ask.
    They messaged me back to confirm. They’ve been incredibly responsive.

They said the mini ranger 5 comes in under 5” so that’s awesome.

I pretty much always use ear pro so I’m not looking for hearing safe cans these days, just something to take the edge off the concussion. I love them for SBR 5.56 that’s otherwise horrible indoors lol.

@JSGlock34

Thank you for all the details, information and photos on the process and options.
    AAC should take the bulk of your write-up and use it for their Restoration Program page.

Curious about a few details.

How was pricing on the 51T S.T.A.M.P. Mount?
    Are they offering a discount on the mount with a Restoration on a suppressor?

Has the 51T latch on the S.T.A.M.P. Mount been upgraded, or is it still the old school 2-tooth design?
    Based on the ease with which the new mount allows for swapping out the latch, I'm guessing it's still the 2-tooth design.
    Would like to see a few photos of the inside of the S.T.A.M.P. mount if you don't mind - quite curious how they made the pawl into a "secondary retention" part.

I've got a few SDN6's that will most definitely be going in for the Ranger 7 "Mini" conversion.
    Having invested in a number of 51T mounts, the option to keep them is very appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    @JSGlock34
    How was pricing on the 51T S.T.A.M.P. Mount?
    Are they offering a discount on the mount with a Restoration on a suppressor?
    I found my STAMP 51Ts for $190 shipped (each), but not via AAC (they were out of stock on the website). The mounts are on the more expensive side, but still cheaper than swapping to new muzzle devices and corresponding adapters. I didn't think to ask about a discount on the HUB mounts, but now that you point it out, I should have. It makes sense if you're trying to appeal to owners of legacy cans. I'd certainly have taken a significant discount on the 51T STAMP over getting the direct-thread attachments, which hold little appeal for me.

I'll have to look at the 51T STAMP to answer your question about the design, but I'll offer that the lock up is much tighter than the ratchet system on my old cans. There is zero play.

User Tag List