Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A look at Hornady Versatite 8-pellet 00B

A look at Hornady Versatite 8-pellet 00B

Given the present ammo situation, I wanted to have some alternatives to the Federal LE133 00B I prefer. A local gun store had sixty rounds of Hornady TAP Versatite Reduced Recoil 00B in stock. This is an eight-pellet reduced recoil load marketed at 1100FPS. The round consists of unplated lead pellets with no buffering. Pellets were stacked in a 2-2-2-2 configuration. The Versatite wad is, from what I understand, licensed from the same design as the Flitecontrol wad and performs a similar function. A cut shell is pictured:

Patterns were fired from an 18" Gen 1.5 Beretta 1301. This is the fixed improved cylinder barrel. For comparison purposes, here are two rounds of LE133 from that gun at 10 and 15 yards:

Patterns from the TAP load at 5, 10, 15, and 25 yards are below:

Pattern density at 15 yards seemed quite good. There was one flyer:

Conclusions:

The Hornady load compared favorably to Federal LE133 from my gun. The TAP shot to approximately the same point of impact as the LE133 within 15 yards, though it printed a few inches higher at 25 yards. Patterns were approximately 2" at 5 yards, 3" at 10 yards, 5" at 15 yards, and 7" at 25 yards (note that I failed to catch one of the 25 yard pellets in the photo -- the impact on the left side of the target's neck with no Sharpie markings was from 25 yards). An observation I had is that the TAP buckshot felt very light -- noticeably lighter than the Federal, which is marketed as 1145FPS. Though only nine rounds were fired, the TAP cycled the 1301 with no issues. Both the Federal and Hornady rounds felt significantly lighter than the Federal #4 buckshot load (F127 4B, marketed as 27 pellets at 1325FPS) I also patterned this date.

I would recommend the TAP load without reservation in a pump-action gun. On the surface I would be comfortable using this load as a substitute for LE133 as my stock of that round is depleted, though I would want to test it more thoroughly for cycling in the 1301 due to that aforementioned light recoil. For comparison, my 1301 was vetted with over 200 rounds of LE133 with no malfunctions from that load. A LGS stocks this TAP load somewhat regularly and I will be purchasing more in the future.

Thanks for sharing. I've also had good results with the Hornady TAP in my 1301.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

I'm gonna try to nab some of these and try them. My results with Hornady were no better than cheap conventional buck loads, but that was with the Critical Defense defense full power snot slinger loads. I always thought the reduced power load would lead to less shot deformation and better performance and was at least in part why Fed FC did so well. It seems that I may have been right.

I saw a velocity listed at I believe sub 1000 fps? Is that correct?

Is there a listed velocity on the box? Pardon me if I missed it in your post. You said it was marked 1100 fps? I think Mile High Shooting has a screen cap graphic showing 991 fps? That's REALLY low lol. I know the box says 1100 fps but...yeah. I'm wondering if that's a typo?

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    I saw a velocity listed at I believe sub 1000 fps? Is that correct?

Is there a listed velocity on the box? Pardon me if I missed it in your post. You said it was marked 1100 fps? I think Mile High Shooting has a screen cap graphic showing 991 fps? That's REALLY low lol. I know the box says 1100 fps but...yeah. I'm wondering if that's a typo?
    Hornady’s advertised velocities are out of a long test barrel. Actual velocities out of 18.5”-20” barreled guns will be quite a bit less than the on the box velocity.

Name:  Pellets.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  16.3 KB

I find the obvious parting lines on the pellets to be interesting. All of the emphasis on buffers and such to eliminate deformation I guess I would expect them to at least start out rounder.

Both the Federal Flight Control and Hornady VersaTite use the same licensed version of the original Choke shot spread reducing wad. I wish Choke still made their ammo directly, as it seemed to have better QC than the licensed versions.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Name:  Pellets.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  16.3 KB

I find the obvious parting lines on the pellets to be interesting. All of the emphasis on buffers and such to eliminate deformation I guess I would expect them to at least start out rounder.
    Hornady pellets be that way.

(also, I should pay more attention to what I am reading)

There is a reason the Hornady loads generally do not shoot as well as the Federal loads. While the wad design is the same, the execution is a little different. Hornady is also not using hardened shot, or grex. Federal is who has put most of the pieces of the puzzle together, and it shows in their load performance. Most of the time. The old stuff is better than the new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    Are those Hornady pellets, or Federal pellets?
    The Hornady (presumably), just a snip from the picture in post #1.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Both the Federal Flight Control and Hornady VersaTite use the same licensed version of the original Choke shot spread reducing wad. I wish Choke still made their ammo directly, as it seemed to have better QC than the licensed versions.
    I still have a few boxes, etc of Billings' shells.

Fwiw, I'm rather happy with the Hornady Black & TAP Lt Magnum shells.

User Tag List