Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W model 10 hunt yields a model 13-1 instead

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyonsgrid View Post
    Attachment 111055

Attachment 111056

There is no cross pin. The sight picture is actually quite nice....but it's an ugly snag hazard for sure. I've never seen one like this.
    I had a 4" M13-2 that apparently didn't have a crosspin...until I had a dovetail cut so I could install a different front sight, then the machining did something to make it obvious.

Admittedly, a 13-2 isn't a 13-1, but that sure looks like an improperly installed S&W front sight. I'd try to find a loupe or something else that could provide magnification to determine for sure whether there's one there.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

That really looks like a factory sight that isn't down in the slot like it should be.

This is what it looks like when you cut a dovetail but the sight was originally pinned. The pin is often invisible. You can see the pin if you look closely in my picture.

Name:  IMG_9942.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  22.5 KBName:  IMG_9943.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  24.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    That really looks like a factory sight that isn't down in the slot like it should be.
    I think you may be correct

Name:  1035-4058-228x228.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  9.7 KB

Smith & Wesson revolver front sights
    https://jackfirstinc.com/index.php?r...egory&path=505

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonsgrid View Post
    Attachment 111055

Attachment 111056

There is no cross pin. The sight picture is actually quite nice....but it's an ugly snag hazard for sure. I've never seen one like this.
    It's coming out. You can see the line between the finish where it was originally seated below the top of the barrel. Some surface prep, tapping back in, and low temp solder can fix it for good.

And don't shoot it until you get it settled or the sight may well fly away.

Thanks for the help. I really thought this was done on purpose and so did my LGS. They actually sold it cheap partly because "of the weird front sight." I feel a little embarrassed but that's why I posted this thread. To get help/tips from those with more experience with S&W revolvers. I'll try to get it sorted out tomorrow.

This video contains some helpful tips

Damn! Why can't I run into deals like that??? That's a fantastic looking revolver for 3 bills!!! Congrats! If I were going to use it for carry, I'd look to find a 3" barrel for it.

Well, that was easy enough. Got the sight to sit back down in it's original location using a nylon punch.
    Now I need to run some ammo and see which it prefers.

Name:  ee.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  65.8 KB

Name:  ef.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  99.8 KB

What’d you use to fix it in place?
    Because it will walk out exactly the same way again if not secured.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    What’d you use to fix it in place?
    Because it will walk out exactly the same way again if not secured.
    Nothing at this point. It was a very tight press fit but I'm sure you're right and it needs cross pinned to be permanent. However, there doesn't seem to be enough of a ledge to drill and install a pin and that's above my skill level. It will have to do for now. Eventually, I'd like to send this off to get proper front & rear sights installed.

User Tag List