Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W model 10 hunt yields a model 13-1 instead

S&W model 10 hunt yields a model 13-1 instead

Been looking for a heavy barrel 4" model 10 for a while. I only stock .38 special and have no desire for magnum calibers. However, yesterday at my LGS, I was offered this model 13-1 for $300. Too good to pass up. It's shooter grade for sure but the timing, lockup, minimal end shake and everything else mechanically seems sound.
    I really don't like the aftermarket front sight. Anyone know what sight this is and more importantly, where can I send this to get a stock style sight reinstalled? I don't have any local revolver gunsmiths that I'd trust.

Grips are original and numbered to match but are pretty worn. Pulled the side plate and although dirty, nothing seems out of place.

Wants: I really want to turn this into a carry / shooter gun. I'm looking for a factory S&W bobbed hammer and more functional grips. Let me know if anyone has a lead on a hammer or some grips to check out. Also want a vintage duty style holster for this. What was the "cool gun guy" duty holster say circa, 1985? Also, the serrated trigger is not my favorite. I prefer a smooth face for sure so I'll be looking for one.

A SN search reveals this 13-1 was produced in 1977 which is an extra cool bonus since that's my birth year also.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  101.6 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  101.1 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  99.5 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  100.7 KB

Going to be a fun journey getting this revolver set up how I want. Open to suggestions or comments, especially from guys with experience with these and/or who carried them on duty.

Great score!

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonsgrid View Post
    get a stock style sight reinstalled?
    I've got to slow down when reading. My brain kept seeing "get a glock style sight reinstalled" over multiple readings.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Man, you stole that thing. Great find, good condition. Congratulations!! You done good.

A file and modicum of patience will make the existing front sight any shape you want. Worst case, it doesn't pan out satisfactorily and you already planned on outright replacement.

Great purchase! Congrats!

Awesome S&W tool/screwdriver. I've got one too and had it for a long time.

Oh yeah, that's gonna be a great carry piece.
    Looking forward to reading about your journey with it.

Ted Blocker SP-100 for the holster in black, basketweave.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I can't recall ever seeing a front sight that looked like that. Still, $300 for a Model 13 is "sprained my wrist digging out my wallet" money.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Is it just my imagination or did someone take one of these:
    https://jackfirstinc.com/index.php?r...roduct_id=9560, cut a slot and then only half ass install it so the serrated portion is parallel to the bore?

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Is it just my imagination or did someone take one of these:
    https://jackfirstinc.com/index.php?r...roduct_id=9560, cut a slot and then only half ass install it so the serrated portion is parallel to the bore?
    We need better pictures of the front sight sight, but this looks like what might have happened.

Is it pinned? Sometimes the pin is very hard to see.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    We need better pictures of the front sight sight, but this looks like what might have happened.

Is it pinned? Sometimes the pin is very hard to see.
    Name:  fs.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  74.8 KB

Name:  fs2.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  42.0 KB

There is no cross pin. The sight picture is actually quite nice....but it's an ugly snag hazard for sure. I've never seen one like this.

User Tag List