Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Low recoil 8 pellet vs low recoil 9 pellet OO buck felt recoil?

Going back to 12 gauge and ignoring the .410 rabbit hole.
    There is a big difference in recoil between my 2 favourite 12 gauge low recoil loads.
    The Federal 9 pellet flite-control low recoil has a fair bit more recoil them Remington 8 pellet managed recoil loads.

Ive heard it explained why the flite-control kicks harder and its more then just the addition of a 9th pellet. Suffice it to say that the flite control loadings generally have more felt recoil then a conventional 9 pellet reduced recoil loading.

If youre recoil shy the Remington 8 pellet managed recoil loadings are a great choice. They also pattern very well in my guns and love a modified choke which can negatively effect flite control patterns.

Fiocchi Defense Dynamics 12 Gauge 2-3/4" #1 Buckshot 9 Pellets

via Demonstrated Concepts youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpF7bMIW3_M

Fiocchi Defense Dynamics 12 Gauge 2-3/4" #1 Buckshot 9 Pellets real low recoil load, I'd trust this a lot more than the Federal minishell No 4 buckshot load for terminal performance.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102326523

PS whats the trick for embedding youtubes on the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post

Fiocchi Defense Dynamics 12 Gauge 2-3/4" #1 Buckshot 9 Pellets real low recoil load, I'd trust this a lot more than the Federal minishell No 4 buckshot load for terminal performance.

Above the box where you type the text there's three rows of buttons. In the second row more to the right end there's a little button that looks like a couple frames of old school movie reel tape. Click that and a box comes up where you can enter the URL of the video and it will embed it for you. Somewhere once upon a time someone did a whole write up with screen shots that explains it way better but I'm not tech savy enough to do all that and I don't know where to look for that post.

I was about to place an order for some cheapo buckshot from somewhere else but this stuff was the same price so I ordered 250 rounds.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 01-16-2024 at 07:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post

Thank you for posting this. I don't know how I missed the vid on YT.

I picked up a 250 rd case of this for $0.60/rd in November from PSA. Really interesting to see the deep dive and thinking from Rhett. Makes me even happier I picked some up.

It patterns very similarly in my Shockwave. Definitely soft shooting buckshot.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Thank you for posting this. I don't know how I missed the vid on YT.

I picked up a 250 rd case of this for $0.60/rd in November from PSA. Really interesting to see the deep dive and thinking from Rhett. Makes me even happier I picked some up.

It patterns very similarly in my Shockwave. Definitely soft shooting buckshot.
    No 1 buck is my preferred for home defense, though I'm okay with No 2 in 20 gauge, this gives a low recoil No 1 Buckshot option for those like me that can't handle full recoil 12 gauge anymore.

It's like Xmas in January

I got a chance to shoot a few of the 12ga Federal 8 pellet 00 shells that I bought due to this thread. I was at the range with some Fudd friends so it was only a few rounds in my admittedly heavy 21” M870 with a 3 round mag extension. Holy Crap! There is no recoil! My competition 20 ga O/U with skeet loads kicks more, the Federal 8 pellet loads were more like the 20ga with Briley .410 tubes installed. It’s hard to believe they’ll operate a semiauto.

The 870 patterns Hornady Critical Duty 00 better than Federal normally but these were quite adequate, 6/8 pellets on a 8.5”x11” sheet of paper stapled over the -0 of an IDPA target at 25 yards with the two strays barely off the paper.
    A second round at ten yards on a 4”x5” piece of paper stapled to the target’s head basically turned it into a donut.

My friends had never seen buckshot patterned before since it’s not a legal hunting round here. The remaining Federal shells and the Hornady’s in the side saddle went toward their education.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I was at the range with some Fudd friends so it was only a few rounds in my admittedly heavy 21” M870 with a 3 round mag extension. Holy Crap! There is no recoil! My competition 20 ga O/U with skeet loads kicks more, the Federal 8 pellet loads were more like the 20ga with Briley .410 tubes installed. It’s hard to believe they’ll operate a semiauto.
    With shotguns, I tend to be in line with the late sheriff of the county I grew up in - he was a good guy - regarding his big Plymouth Fury patrol cars: "There's nothing like more pounds and a longer wheelbase to keep things steady."
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I got a chance to shoot a few of the 12ga Federal 8 pellet 00 shells that I bought due to this thread. I was at the range with some Fudd friends so it was only a few rounds in my admittedly heavy 21” M870 with a 3 round mag extension. Holy Crap! There is no recoil! My competition 20 ga O/U with skeet loads kicks more, the Federal 8 pellet loads were more like the 20ga with Briley .410 tubes installed. It’s hard to believe they’ll operate a semiauto.

The 870 patterns Hornady Critical Duty 00 better than Federal normally but these were quite adequate, 6/8 pellets on a 8.5”x11” sheet of paper stapled over the -0 of an IDPA target at 25 yards with the two strays barely off the paper.
    A second round at ten yards on a 4”x5” piece of paper stapled to the target’s head basically turned it into a donut.

My friends had never seen buckshot patterned before since it’s not a legal hunting round here. The remaining Federal shells and the Hornady’s in the side saddle went toward their education.
    I don't think the 8 pellet will operate semi auto reliably without shenanigans. See @NHshooter post https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?37084-1187P

This post https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post894937 he talks bit more about it. He talks about low recoil 9 pellet and slugs,

Somewhere he detailed what he did to get 8 pellet ot run, but can't seem to find that bookmark at movement.

Is there much advantage to having a 9 pellet load to 8 pellet? Low recoil or not. I notice the Hornady Critical Defense 00 buck load is 8 pellet. Does 9 pellet offer a notable increase in performance?

User Tag List