Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Life writer hunting debacle

I've shot deer over bait piles, and farm raised pheasants planted in fields. IMHO its shooting, not hunting. I took advantage of the opportunities available to me. It was still fun, but not nearly as rewarding as hunting.

All the meat was eaten
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Yes, this was SOP during the Cold War. The method was as Lost River described--you need a target of a known size for it to work. Not sure what they teach these days but I'd be amazed if using stadia is considered anything but a field-expedient backup.

Okie John
    It isn't even a backup. I doubt that any surveyors working these days even know it exits. I retired 10 years ago and nobody used it then. Way too labor intensive and not digital for computer consumption. Field note entry and nobody wants to deal with that when you can transfer 10x the data electronically. About the time I retired a few instruments could read a rod and record a measurement digitally for precise leveling but I'm not sure where that tech went. Once we figured out that the surface is always moving it didn't mean as much as it used to. Here today, gone tomorrow.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    I no longer hunt deer. If I went now, I would be the designated driver whose job was cooking and taking the pistols away from my buddies when they started drinking hard. My scope is a 4 power Weaver made in El Paso during the 60's, and it has been on .308's and 270's. I must limit my shots to 150 yards because I can't shoot rifles well enough to make long shots. Past this distance in the field I can't shoot groups smaller than 6 inches.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    In my neck of the woods, deer die because they get hit by cars...where they occasionally paralyze people by coming up through the windshield..., or they starve to death. Sometimes they are eaten by predators, but rarely.

Generally once they get sick they spread disease to other deer.

I've got zero problem with people killing them and eating them however it can be done as long as there is some management of the population. Right now the management problem is that there are too goddamn many of them. I'd much rather somebody shoot the motherfucker I narrowly missed Saturday night at a feeder instead of having to do heroics behind the wheel at 12:45 AM to keep from having a six pointer flying into my face.

It's meat.

We shouldn't be looking to cause any unnecessary suffering in collecting it, but neither do I expect it to be some sort of mystical ritual. It's cool if that's how you view hunting and it's what you get out of it, but I just don't want them trying to kill me when I'm going from A to B. And a bullet or an arrow is probably a far better way to go than being hit by a car.

A client who works for a local sherriff's office shot more than 50 car-hit deer last year to put them out of their misery. We're talking dragging broken limbs, guts spilled out on the ground, eyeballs hanging out of the socket level gore on these poor creatures. A bow shot at a feeder is a fuckton better way for them to die than that shit.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I no longer hunt deer. If I went now, I would be the designated driver whose job was cooking and taking the pistols away from my buddies when they started drinking hard. My scope is a 4 power Weaver made in El Paso during the 60's, and it has been on .308's and 270's. I must limit my shots to 150 yards because I can't shoot rifles well enough to make long shots. Past this distance in the field I can't shoot groups smaller than 6 inches.
    My last camp job hunting wild pheasants on the Snake R. was cleaning the birds at the end of the day. Sometimes that was 12 birds. I was pretty quick at it and could do a bird in 4 minutes. Somebody else did the cooking which consisted of lots of different game meat, including moose, which is my favorite.

I routinely gave the farmers smoked salmon if they let us hunt on their property. Never once was turned down. A limit of wild birds (3) every day was not uncommon.

Some of the guys I hunted with enjoyed drinking away from their spouse more than hunting.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    It's meat.
    Allowing commercial sale of game meat would help in certain overpopulated areas and would bring another source of cash to poor rural communities.

That comes with its own gigantic set of problems, but they are probably manageable ones depending on the state and its propensity for bureaucracy creep.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    It used to be taught the average height of a man, but I found that there were too many variables with that one personally.
    Plus, it really unnerves the indigenous forces when you break out the tape measure and start getting random samples of height and shoulder width.

"Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Not sure what they teach these days but I'd be amazed if using stadia is considered anything but a field-expedient backup.
    Still taught in some places. Like some posted, it's only approximate and works best on known measurements and larger targets. When I was first taught it came with an index card with sizes of common CONUS stuff like fire hydrants, doorframes, large/small pickups, etc, and a worksheet to practice the associated math problems on.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

This video came up in my YT feed. These knuckleheads shot this undisturbed moose at over 900 yards, and didn't even wait for a broadside shot.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This video came up in my YT feed. These knuckleheads shot this undisturbed moose at over 900 yards, and didn't even wait for a broadside shot.

Shades of Elmer Keith!
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List