Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grills Smokers and accessories

I’m not sure of your budget but an insulated cabinet smoker might be worth a look. There are a lot of different companies but lone star grillz has a decent video of them. Most of them can be fitted with a blower / temp controller if you like.

https://lonestargrillz.com/products/...ulated-cabinet

Regarding offset cookers, I think they have the best flavor. I have a crappy $400 one that makes great food but I have to feed it every 15-20 minutes and it leaks like a sieve. I have cooked on lager ones that seal up well and have good draw, I had to feed them about every hour give or take.

Cabinet smokers are definitely on my list. Ive looked at the Chubby series with interest. The link I posted earlier had to do with insulating the firebox on an offset. It radically reduces the amount of wood required. Building my own smoker is also a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by omega9 View Post
    I’m not sure of your budget but an insulated cabinet smoker might be worth a look. There are a lot of different companies but lone star grillz has a decent video of them. Most of them can be fitted with a blower / temp controller if you like.

https://lonestargrillz.com/products/...ulated-cabinet

Regarding offset cookers, I think they have the best flavor. I have a crappy $400 one that makes great food but I have to feed it every 15-20 minutes and it leaks like a sieve. I have cooked on lager ones that seal up well and have good draw, I had to feed them about every hour give or take.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Humpreys is another brand of insulated cabinet smokers that are well regarded https://www.humphreysbbq.com/collect...-ready-to-ship

I went the uninsulated cabinet route, getting a boathouse smokers 3 shelf stock series xl package. It's a beast. I thought it wouldn't hurt to have the extra space if I needed it, but I'll admit I'm having second thoughts. Both the water pan and ash pan are large and made of thick steel and heavier when full, and akward when hot or coated in grease splatter.... plus larger means more fuel consumption. I wanted larger than a pit barrel and I sure got that, but maybe a bit too much. So think through how big you really want to go.

There are other gravity fed smokers but they tend to be more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by JclInAtx View Post
    Humpreys is another brand of insulated cabinet smokers that are well regarded https://www.humphreysbbq.com/collect...-ready-to-ship

I went the uninsulated cabinet route, getting a boathouse smokers 3 shelf stock series xl package. It's a beast. I thought it wouldn't hurt to have the extra space if I needed it, but I'll admit I'm having second thoughts. Both the water pan and ash pan are large and made of thick steel and heavier when full, and akward when hot or coated in grease splatter.... plus larger means more fuel consumption. I wanted larger than a pit barrel and I sure got that, but maybe a bit too much. So think through how big you really want to go.

There are other gravity fed smokers but they tend to be more expensive.
    If you lnow about Humphries and Boathouse you are deep into it. Ive learned a lot the more I read the more I think the insulated reverse flow is the way to go for my needs. It seems the most hands off weather proof option.
    I still havent decided which one. The smallest model would work but whe you step up one size it opens up more possibilities for the future. Im still looking at backwoods and LSG. 270 model popped up but I cant find enough user input to go that route.
    I wouldv eally like to see some smokes where they put a probe on each shelf. Im getting mixed signals about heat evenness within the insulated verticals.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List