Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loads to Fill in for Remington 00 and Slugger

Loads to Fill in for Remington 00 and Slugger

So, I used to run 2.75” Remington 00 Reduced Recoil 8 pellet in my shotguns (20” 870, Ithaca 37 and TAC-14). Looked around at a few places, and cannot find it for sale. Guess it is related to Remington’s change of ownership.

My 870 SBS is being refinished and hope to get it back into rotation before the holidays. Need to get it engraved first.

Wanted to see what similar loads are out there. Doesn’t have to be low recoil, I just found those patterned the best out of my 14” barrel (was a braced TAC-14… then we all know what happened).

Also interested in a similar slug option… but I do still have a considerable stock of 2.75” Slugger, which also shot well in my 14”. The Reduced Recoil Slugger sucked. Figure looking at something other than Remington would allow me to not worry about supply in the future.

Only thing I really saw to interest me was Hornady CD 00 and their American Gunner Reduced Recoil 1 ounce slug or Federal Flitecontrol 9 pellet 00 and their 1 ounce HP slug.

Thanks for any tips.

This is the current version of old Remington's 8 pellet managed recoil 00 load.

https://www.remington.com/shotshell/29-20711.html

The Hornady slugs are good. Both the American Gunner (low recoil) and the American Whitetail (standard velocity) are good slugs. Federal TruBall and DPRS slugs are good as well.

If you haven't tried Federal Flite Control loads before, they are worth looking at. There are a few different versions.

LE13300 is the 8 pellet low recoil version. Hard to find, used to be hands down the best available. Just kind of depends now.

LE13200 is the 9 pellet low recoil version. Can also be found in the Personal Defense line with product number PD13200

LE12700 is the standard velocity 9 pellet version. It can also be found in the Premium line with product number PFC15400.

Thanks… didn’t realize Remington sold from their website.

And add in it is a black hull instead of the same green as the slugs, I’ll have to stock up and see how they are. Think I’ll pick up some Federal and see which patterns better.

Also check out the Hornady TAP 00 buck with their Versatite wad. I've compared this with Federal Flite Control in my 1301 and they performed pretty much identically. Inside ~12 yards you'd think I fired a slug with either one.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

I don’t know the difference between the Hornady TAP and the Hornady BLACK, but I do know the BLACK uses the same shot cup as the TAP. it patterns very tight as well. I picked up a case a while ago because I couldn’t get my hands on the Fed or TAP…

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    I don’t know the difference between the Hornady TAP and the Hornady BLACK, but I do know the BLACK uses the same shot cup as the TAP. it patterns very tight as well. I picked up a case a while ago because I couldn’t get my hands on the Fed or TAP…
    Hornady Black does not have a flash suppressed powder. Otherwise it is the same as Hornady Critical Defense, which is the same as Hornady’s full power TAP load.

There is also the low recoil TAP load, it is very low recoil. Probably the softest shooting 00 load I have ever tried.

The Hornady loads typically match FFC to about 15 yards, then they start lagging behind. Usually. There are exceptions.

Hmmm...not finding the reduced recoil TAP in stock anywhere from a seller I recognize.

Anyone know where it's in stock from a reputable source?

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Hmmm...not finding the reduced recoil TAP in stock anywhere from a seller I recognize.

Anyone know where it's in stock from a reputable source?
    https://www.gtdist.com/products/guns...il-00buck.html

GT Distributors is good to go. If you have LE creds, Miwall is good too, and they also have it in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    https://www.gtdist.com/products/guns...il-00buck.html

GT Distributors is good to go. If you have LE creds, Miwall is good too, and they also have it in stock.
    Is GT restricting non-LE sales?

This line of ammunition is intended for Law Enforcement sales ONLY.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Is GT restricting non-LE sales?
    I am not sure how strict they are on it.

User Tag List