Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WV judge searches man's house sans warrant, forced to retire

WV judge searches man's house sans warrant, forced to retire

I got nothing... She did a search of the man's home with her bailiff and I think the ex wife of the homeowner and the ex started divvying out the possession from the home she wanted, with the judge's approval and supervision.

West VA Supreme Court denies judicial immunity.

https://www.wvva.com/2023/01/31/judg...r-impeachment/

https://wvrecord.com/stories/6391909...ces-retirement

In 2020, Goldston stopped a divorce hearing and told the parties to meet at the home of the man involved in the divorce. Once there, Goldston led a search of the man’s home without a warrant, threatened to have him arrested when he started recording the incident and had a bailiff seize his phone. When the man’s ex-wife claimed items belonged to her, Goldston told her to take the items. The man says Goldston walked barefoot through his house and sat in a rocking chair.

That man, Matthew Gibson, reported Goldston to the state Judicial Investigation Commission, which charged her with violating the state Code of Judicial Conduct.

“It was incredibly frustrating to have my rights and my privacy violated that day,” Gibson said. “This lawsuit is about standing up for my rights and ensuring other people have a way to get justice when their rights are violated.”

In March 2021, Gibson filed the federal lawsuit against Goldston as well as the Raleigh County Commission and three sheriff’s deputies related to the incident. That was the same month the Judicial Hearing Board issued its recommended decision to the state Supreme Court regarding Goldston’s actions after she had been charged with violating at least seven rules in the Code of Judicial Conduct after admitting she visited homes of litigants to check on disputed property.

In September 2020, the state Judicial Investigation Commission filed its formal statement of charges with the Supreme Court against Goldston, who says she is entitled to judicial immunity and seeks to have Gibson’s claims dismissed in federal court.

Goldston has served as a family court judge since 1994, and she presides over cases in Raleigh, Summers and Wyoming counties. Before this, she never had been disciplined for judicial misconduct. But she did admit she had a 20-year practice of going to parties’ homes “to either determine if certain disputed marital property was present and/or to supervise the transfer of disputed property.”
    #RESIST

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    That was quite the fiasco. The entire institution of family court judges attempted to intervene to save that power-abusing bitch from facing any accountability. It took the legislature looking at impeachments to actually get any sort of justice done. It came out in all this that the judge in question was forcing court staff to do her yardwork and other illegal and immoral shenanigans of that nature because nobody was holding her accountable. Least of all other judges.

Far too few judges are held accountable for bad acts and over-reaches of power. It fosters exactly this sort of corruption.

When judges abuse their power, they need to be removed from the bench.
    3/15/2016

I would say I am shocked, but these days, I am not sadly.

Unfortunately the fact of the matter is in far too many cases, it is not what actually happened, or what the truth is, it is what is said in a report, what is spoken in court, as a matter of record, and what is agreed upon between the attorneys and judges. The abuses that happen constantly is disgusting.

How many times has this judge alone completely screwed over some other guy during a divorce proceeding and gotten away with it, and that guy not had the ability or known what to do, so he just simply lost it all.

She will likely only end up losing her judgeship and be forced to retire. Whereas during the divorces she ruled over probably cost people their life's savings, as well as possessions.

It would be nice to see her lose all she has worked for. See her retirement lost, lose her house. Have someone go through her house and decide what they want to take. But we know that will never happen. She will retire with a nice fat pension.

Disgust does not begin to describe my feelings towards people like this.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    When judges abuse their power, they need to be removed from the bench put in jail.

I've had...interesting...interactions with Family Court judges and their rulings for decades.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    That was quite the fiasco. The entire institution of family court judges attempted to intervene to save that power-abusing bitch from facing any accountability. It took the legislature looking at impeachments to actually get any sort of justice done. It came out in all this that the judge in question was forcing court staff to do her yardwork and other illegal and immoral shenanigans of that nature because nobody was holding her accountable. Least of all other judges.

Far too few judges are held accountable for bad acts and over-reaches of power. It fosters exactly this sort of corruption.

When judges abuse their power, they need to be removed from the bench.
    Sad thing is I don't think a single person in this state is surprised by any of it.

retirement was too good for her.
    spending the rest of her life breaking rocks would be appropriate.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    My understanding is that 98% of all complaints against judges are dismissed with no action taken against the judge. I have no doubt that many of these complaints are filed by parties who are simply upset that they lost, and should be dismissed. Most judges I have appeared in front of tried to do the best job they could. However, there have been notable exceptions, and I have a hard time believing that all of that 98% should be dismissed. Furthermore, I have spoken with attorneys who would not file a complaint against a judge out of fear of what would happen the next time they appeared in that judge’s courtroom.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List