Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Accurizing the AR-15"

"Accurizing the AR-15"

I've watched a few youtube videos on how Criterion recommends putting ARs together to optimize accuracy.

They talk about a bunch of stuff such as getting the optimal bolt for head space, thermal fit uppers, squaring up/lapping the upper receiver for the barrel extension, "bedding" the barrel using a sleeve retainer compound, the type of gas tube and how it needs to fit, etc. I am not even sure if they even cover everything - there could be more stuff. The nuances in these videos are pretty nuts.

I'm curious if anyone knows of any OEMs that actually assemble rifles like this. I'm assuming no as I don't see it in their marketing. Are there any high-end builders that do this if I ship them all the stuff?

Ultimately, what I am **think** I am asking is, if I wanted to get an ultra accurate AR-15, what are my options? / what is the best way to do it? / what is the easiest way to do it? Is it even worth the trouble?

If you are interested in the vids - here they are...They have a 4 part series that posted 6 years ago - this is part 1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1vCYbaA0Q

There was also a guy who went there to get his rifle rebarreled that talked about the same thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvWYzCGEuxo

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I've watched a few youtube videos on how Criterion recommends putting ARs together to optimize accuracy.

They talk about a bunch of stuff such as getting the optimal bolt for head space, thermal fit uppers, squaring up/lapping the upper receiver for the barrel extension, "bedding" the barrel using a sleeve retainer compound, the type of gas tube and how it needs to fit, etc. I am not even sure if they even cover everything - there could be more stuff. The nuances in these videos are pretty nuts.

I'm curious if anyone knows of any OEMs that actually assemble rifles like this. I'm assuming no as I don't see it in their marketing. Are there any high-end builders that do this if I ship them all the stuff?

Ultimately, what I am **think** I am asking is, if I wanted to get an ultra accurate AR-15, what are my options? / what is the best way to do it? / what is the easiest way to do it? Is it even worth the trouble?

Myself, I don't think many manufacturer's would share their "secret tricks"... kinda like a NASCAR team sharing their secrets.

But I have applied many of Criterion's recommendations , and IMHO they do help.

This is 10rds, at 100yds, scoped, benched, bagged.. etc> PSA upper and lower, Criterion 22" 6.5CM , Hornady AG 140gr... various Criterion "Tricks" applied during assm., Yes , I blew the flier.

Name:  IMG_3229A.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  35.9 KB

This group, is also same as above, but 308 18" Criterion barrel, 155gr Horn AG , same everything else.
    Note I blew this flier as well...

Name:  IMG_3106_JPG-860403(1).jpg
Views: 433
Size:  16.8 KB

IMHO, I would build / assemble one, if I can do it, anyone can.

If you want to buy this might actually be cheaper than buying your own and sending it off: https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/shop.html

(I have this one: https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/a4-...-ban-1751.html ) I've never shot it bagged at both ends, if it's warm enough tomorrow I might go out and do it.

WHITE OAK COMPETITION SERVICE & MATCH RIFLE UPPERS
    The uppers on this page are John's recommended configurations. If you don't want to worry about selecting the right barrel and the right sight options simply choose one of these uppers and be assured you will have a winning configuration.

White Oak builds top quality uppers which have won many state, regional and national championships. Both the parts and the workmanship are held to the highest standards by competitive shooters who demand accuracy and reliability. With over 30 years of competitive experience White Oak knows high power competition. All uppers are built with the same components and techniques John uses in his own uppers. With your White Oak upper you can be confident that you are prepared to compete at any level.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    From my brief foray into NRA High Power a decade ago, White Oak was my thought as well.

squaring up/lapping the upper receiver for the barrel extension, "bedding" the barrel using a sleeve retainer compound
    Thanks for bringing this up, I have always contemplated doing these two steps, and I am getting ready to re-barrel one of my primary rifles and will probably do the lapping, and should also probably will do the glue.

Is it even worth the trouble?
    I don't know, but both of the two things I would consider are cheap and look easy, and I am planning to tear it apart anyway, so I will probably do the experiment.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 11-01-2023 at 09:53 AM.

Site Supporter
    I think I still have my Brownells lapping tool from my years-ago foray into this rabbit hole if anyone wants to make an offer. I can toss in the sleeve-locking compound as well.

It's heavy, so shipping may be a factor.

Chris

I have a White Oak built upper and had a Fulton Armory built upper from my very brief foray returning into HiPower E class competition a few years ago. They are both sub moa with good ammo. I think both companies have some successful approach but I could not begin to tell you how they build them. I could not tell you one was better than the other because of my very limited skills. I suspect when they build the whole gun and not just the upper those are even better.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Has anyone ever seen a difference in lapping the upper?

I like BCM’s thermo fit uppers and have bedded barrels in looser fitting uppers before but I don’t buy into lapping.
    First, I’ve not seen an upper not square enough to make contact all the way around yet.
    Second, a loose fitting guide inside the upper is subject to cutting off center when done by hand.
    Third, I don’t like to remove anodizing.

I’ve seen a few attempts trying to prove it does work only to not make any difference. But it would be hard to see any improvement until 300 yards or so anyway. Just wondering if this has been proven or just something else to sell.

The only tips I’ve got is to start with a good barrel, limit barrel nut torque to 40’ lbs. Just snug the muzzle device after loctite has been applied. I have swapped a bolt once that passed a field gauge but accuracy did improve with another bolt.

I have lapped a couple uppers, and noted that the face was slightly off-square before the correction. I can't say it was helpful because I didn't do before/after testing. If you have the lapper that runs through the receiver, the tight BCM uppers can't be lapped.

That being said. I have a couple Criterion CORE barrelled uppers and they seem to be very accurate with cheap ammo like XM193. I can't ask for more

User Tag List