Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revolver red dot mount with built in sight(s)??

I have to say, Eric Gelhaus' threads on what goes thu Gunsite and what breaks give me solid "need" of a secondary/emergency sighting method before I screw on a red dot. Of course as JCN said, slide acceleration/stop/return is a fairly abrupt,violent event.
    My take is also based (biased? corrupted?) a bit on shooting apart some fairly decent scopes on heavy recoiling rifles over the years, and watching my Dad do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Sometime this week, I'm going to try sighting down the barrel of this 329, sort of, using the shallow V like space where the cylinder profile meets the top strap. I can do that with a normal firing grip and no tilt. We'll see how (and how far out) that works.

If nothing else it'll be interesting, and informative.
    A couple things that I have done in the past:

1. Laser bore sighter and see what angles and visuals separate from the sights line up.
    2. Put gun on a rest and aim it at a target using sights…. Then without moving the gun, move your head to see what else lines up.
    3. Test in live fire.

The corner angle of a Glock slide works very well as alternate sighting.

Most revolvers are decent down the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Sometime this week, I'm going to try sighting down the barrel of this 329, sort of, using the shallow V like space where the cylinder profile meets the top strap. I can do that with a normal firing grip and no tilt. We'll see how (and how far out) that works.

If nothing else it'll be interesting, and informative.
    Something Cirillo taught was using silhouette aiming index, he has pictures in his book about it Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights: Lessons and Tales from a Modern-Day Gunfighter https://www.amazon.com/Guns-Bullets-.../dp/0873648773 ,basically using the outline of the gun on target as rough sight index. In class he would tape the rear sight on students guns, eliminating the rear notch, a few students would actually shoot better that way than with traditional sights. IIRC Cirillo thought (assumed?) it was because they stopped chasing perfect sight aliment and were forced to trust their wobble.

I think, not positive, that this was technique he adopted in part because didn't have night sights readily available at least in his early career.

User Tag List