Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EDC pen ink… what do you like?

EDC pen ink… what do you like?

Most of my pens use Parker style refills. I’m a fan of gel inks. I like the gels because of the smooth and effortless writing. So far, the best I found are the MONTEVERDE GEL refills. I like the broad tip in blue/black color. The color is a dark blue.

There are a few drawbacks to these gel inks. The first is that they don’t last very long. When they start to go, they start skipping. Also, on hot days, the ink can starts gumming up at the tip. The ink is a little slower to dry on paper and will run if you get the paper wet.

I’ve tried the Parker brand gels, but I’m not a fan of the lighter shade of blue and they tend to skip a lot. I’ve also tried the SCHNEIDER GELLION + and they are descent. They write smoothly but the blue ink isn’t as dark as the MONTEVERDE and the lines aren’t as thick… it’s a good ink if you like finer lines.

Any other recommendations?

Site Supporter
    For my Parker jitters, I like the Schmidt p900 refills in gel.

Having said that, I also like my Zebra Sarasa gel pens as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Zebra-Pen-Sar...40&sr=8-7&th=1

PS if smoothness is really driving the train, then a migration to particular paper and a fountain pen may be in order.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    I'm usually a Fisher space pen guy. I've used them in Hinderer and Blackside Customs pens.

The fisher space pen refills will fit into a Parker. They make blue and you can get it in “broad”, which is probably equivalent to a 1 mm ball. Amazon.

Site Supporter
    Fisher space pen insert in a Zebra, or one of the Fisher bullet pens are my go to if a fountain pen isn't on the menu for the day.

Site Supporter
    An additional data point re “best pens” from the Wirecutter. When they were independent and published by the NYT there were better I think. Having said that now that the “article” is owned by the NYT they are still a solid starting point.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r.../the-best-pen/
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I've used a lot of the economy GEL pens, but I'm not much of a fan. Most GEL's I've used have smeared quite a bit and the balls tend to slide on the paper rather than roll. Most have also bled through paper, even though no-bleed through is often one of their advertised benefits. The very popular Pilot G2's seem particularly sloppy. I am a short time into using some Sharpie S-GEL pens and they seem to be OK, so far.

In the liquid ink world, I generally like Uni-Ball roller balls as their ink smears less than others.

For ballpoints, I usually have a Parker Jotter handy, but their new (has it been 20 years?) Quink ink, seems a little sloppier than their old ink, though it is faster. I also have several Fisher Space pens, and a Bullet pen rides in my pocket daily. Fisher's ink is a little sloppy too, but they are handy to have. At some point I looked up the size of the Parker and Fisher balls, and while I can't remember exactly what they are, Fisher's medium is a little wider than Parker's medium, so in comparable point sizes, the Parker will have a slightly finer point.

Site Supporter
    Re the ubiquitous G2- IMHO at least a bit overrated on every vector- price, color, smoothness, smeariness etc.

Pentel Energel is better in every way and can even be had in a wide bodied, all metal version if that is your jam. Indeed, the vast majority of the "plastic" pens mentioned below, can almost always be had in a metal bodied version for a more tactical/professional/better looking "deployment." If not an OEM branded pen, at least the refill.

If you really want to geek out on all manner of gel/ball/liquid ink pens ( and fountain pens too) I give you "Jet Pens." You have been warned.

https://www.jetpens.com/?gad=1&gclid...AaAvuIEALw_wcB

https://www.jetpens.com/blog/The-42-...in-Pens/pt/974

I like the Schmidt Easyflow 9000. I think its called a hybrid ballpoint. I find they dont skip and they write darker than a standard ballpoint. I also find that they write a lot longer than the gels with less smudge. I like Fisher refills and have Jotters with fine and medium refills. I change them out as I take a notion. I honestly wish I could find a refill for my jotter that writes like a Zebra F301 but thats a discussion for another day.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I am a short time into using some Sharpie S-GEL pens and they seem to be OK, so far.
    I have gravitated to the S-GEL pens in blue for work. They write nicely, aren't expensive, and easy to source.

On my own time, I have an aviator pen in my pocket. I rarely do more writing than sign a receipt or check off a grocery list.

https://www.amazon.com/SKILCRAFT-Avi...881475861&th=1
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List