Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EDC pen ink… what do you like?

Question for the Schmidt fans… I wanna give them a try, but don’t know which to choose. What’s the difference between the different Parker style refills? They have the P900, P900 SOFTLINE, and the 9000 EAZYFLOW?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    Question for the Schmidt fans… I wanna give them a try, but don’t know which to choose. What’s the difference between the different Parker style refills? They have the P900, P900 SOFTLINE, and the 9000 EAZYFLOW?!?!
    The 900 is oil based. The 9000 is a hybrid that is sort of like a gel and sort of like an oil base. Im not familiar with the Softline. I copied and pasted the following "The Softline should essentially just be an easyFLOW that retains more of its original oil-based ballpoint characteristics such as a higher viscosity (thus more grip/resistance) and greater performance on waxy/glossy paper. But, truthfully I never really cared to try the P900 so all I can offer is my product info knowledge instead of personal anecdotes" I may want to check it out

any rollerball that is in a metal-like refill (dupont / monteverde / etc.) has dried up on me fast. They are expensive and waste of money IMHO. Uniball 307s have also dried up on me. Pilot G2s write horribly and are "goopy."

Pentel Energels are great. The normal blue is also waterproof despite not saying as such. I've heard good things of Sarasa as well. The refill size is incredibly ubiquitous - find a pen you like, ditch the refill if you don't like it, and install one you do.

I'm incredibly finicky about, well, most things, but pens especially. I absolutely love the Pilot Juice gel pens. Smooth-writing, not goopy like the G2, available in a few different tip sizes (I find 0.5mm to be the best balance of not being too bold to allow for writing small while not being so fine it feels scratchy), and you get some pen nerd cred because it's not a pen that's in very common use in the US.

Refills available at JetPens.

I carry a BIGiDESIGN Click Pen, which is adjustable to fit tons of different refills.

I picked up some Schmidt 9000 Parker style refills, medium tip in blue. I’ll add a pic comparing it with the Monteverde gel and the Schneider Gellion +.

I personally like the Monteverde the best. I like the dark blue color, broad lines, and smooth feeling when writing. The Schneider is good, but the lines aren’t as broad and the blue isn’t as dark. The Schmidt is also nice, but also not as broad and dark. The Schmidt has a little more drag than the gel inks too… not as much as a regular ball point, but not as smooth as a gel. These are just my personal preferences.

Name:  IMG_2492.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  84.6 KB

Site Supporter
    Color and "broadness" vary from brand to brand. Most mediums are not as broad as something marked "broad" regardless of who makes them.

In broad strokes (pardon the pun,) anything Japanese tends to be a little less broad that a european counterpart i.e. a Japanese fine point is finer than a German one.

In terms or broadness, the only way to have an apples to apples comparison correctly/measured/marked pens by mm size. i.e .5mm point v .7 etc.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Come back to standard US Government Skilcraft pen.

Site Supporter
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Supporting Business Dark Star Gear's Avatar
    Pilot Hi-Tec C and the Juice up, both of which are a roller ball available in a range of colors and sizes. I use them in a Big Idea Design clicky body and they've been the longest pen I've carried. I prefer a fine tip, 0.4mm or less, and these last the longest and write the best.
    Dark Star Gear
    Best method to contact us is email: info@darkstargear.com

My favorite EDC pen is a Parker Jotter.

I use the standard Parker QUINKflow refill.

I used to religiously use blue ink but changed to black after several issues in which black ink was required for signing documents.

User Tag List