Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alliant reloader availability

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Not necessarily blaming alliant. Just curious as to why I can never seem to find these things.

I've looked at VitaVouti load data, haven't been able to find the right combination for the bullets I particularly like to shoot, Barnes, at least in the weights I like to shoot.

Which brings up a somewhat related question:
    If you're looking for load data with a specific copper bullet, let's say 140 grains just for example, and there is no data for that specific bullet, but you do see load recommendations for a 140 grain lead bullet; can you use the same charge weights for those bullets?

Thanks
    Are you asking a out a monolithic copper bullet versus a traditional cup and core jacketed bullet?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Are you asking a out a monolithic copper bullet versus a traditional cup and core jacketed bullet?
    If you are looking for data for a 139 grain lrx from barnes, and can't find any data anywhere. However, you see load data from a powder company for a 140 grain lead-based bullet of some form, can you use the load data from the lead bullet for loading the lrx?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    I don't think Alliant loves us anymore. I have enough Promo, Unique, Bullseye, 2400 and RX7 to last a while longer, but I'd sure be proud to have more of almost everything.
    I ran out of AR Comp (Alliant) a few years ago before COVID. Couldn't find any anywhere. Switched to W748. Still using it and seems to work just as well for .223 and 62 gr loads. Just had to start over with load development but that doesn't take more than a few range sessions using the same bullet.

I see 8 lbs of AR-C available now for almost $60/lb. W748 is $33/lb. Is AR Comp twice as good? If it is it isn't apparent to me. I'm still a yuge fan of American Select but I have plenty. Actually I don't expect to be buying anymore powder for a long, long time.

A telephone guy was in my basement awhile ago and was eyeballing my reloading setup. He said I see you're in for the long haul. He was a reloader also.
    Last edited by Borderland; 10-30-2023 at 03:08 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

deleted

If you are looking for data for a 139 grain lrx from barnes, and can't find any data anywhere. However, you see load data from a powder company for a 140 grain lead-based bullet of some form, can you use the load data from the lead bullet for loading the lrx?

Thanks
    I wouldn't just substitute an all copper bullet in place of lead, and use lead data that way. Copper bullets, being less dense than lead, take up more case volume, and have a longer bearing surface than lead core bullets. Pressures could be vastly different. For sure, if you try lead data with a copper bullet, start low and work up. I would think the pressures should be lower, but internal ballistics doesn't always work they way you think.

I will look at different brand copper bullet data, and consider that for substitution. Say using Hornady or Nosler copper bullet data as s starting point for Barnes bullets of the same weight.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I wouldn't just substitute an all copper bullet in place of lead, and use lead data that way. Copper bullets, being less dense than lead, take up more case volume, and have a longer bearing surface than lead core bullets. Pressures could be vastly different. For sure, if you try lead data with a copper bullet, start low and work up. I would think the pressures should be lower, but internal ballistics doesn't always work they way you think.

I will look at different brand copper bullet data, and consider that for substitution. Say using Hornady or Nosler copper bullet data as s starting point for Barnes bullets of the same weight.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    I would say it's a hard no on that. I subbed starting data for a jacketed bullet for a TTSX bullet. The load was incredibly accurate, but had pressure signs. After that, I treat copper bullet loads like shotgun loads: exact components only.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I don't think that is necessarily the fault of Alliant. There have been some recent cartridge releases that are putting a high demand for powders that fall in that burn rate. Take a look at some of the VihtaVuori offerings. They may have a few that could fill your need, and tend to be available right now.
    Alliant is also a major supplier of propellants for the military, and not just powder. My feeling is that they have been pressed more heavily than other manufacturers that are more focused only on smokeless powder. This is just my impression, though. I don't have any data to back this up.

User Tag List