Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: AR for use with suppressor

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I just figured it would give the shortest, lightest method of attachment is all. I think WobblyPossum corrected my thinking on that.
    Makes sense. I jumped on a Turbo T3 myself, and have decided their new sRx mount system is the one for me partially due to how compact it is.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm not sure why there's so much talking past people in this thread. @Robinson asks about cans and people starting talking to him like he's an idiot that thinks he can shoot without earpro when that's never what he said he wanted to do.

Similarly, I'm asking for data about your assertion on using flash hiders below a certain barrel length. I understand that brakes can act as a sacrificial blast baffle. I also understand the sky is blue. I'm not asking about either of those, however. I asked for data about your assertion that flash hiders shouldn't be used below a certain barrel length.

If you don't have the data to back up that assertion, then you don't have the data. That's it. That's fine. That's all.
    I don't have data because I didn't say that?

I said probably not a bad idea to use a brake - I didn't say "if you run a barrel shorter than X, you need to run a brake" anywhere, I don't think. It's your barrel, your can; do what you want. I know what I would do, and actually do, on my barrels and with my cans. Common sense says the shorter the barrel, the more violent the erosion effects on unprotected surfaces. There's billions of points of empirical data (sorry - this is slight hyperbole that you might decide to take literally - settle on "thousands of points") on this on every silencer forum, NFA-specific forum, reddit, facebook, arfcom, whatever. It doesn't take a PHD to realize that putting a brake on a shorter barrel will better protect your lifetime "investment" of a can, or at least string out times between maintenance and parts replacement in the can longer.

Do what you want, whatever, I'm not invested in what you decide you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    I don't have data
    Simple, thanks.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I run a direct thread T2 and TK on two 11.5 hosts and a third TK on a 14.5”. All work very well for me and I’m under no illusion they’re hearing safe. For the money they’re extremely appealing cans. They do make a huge difference compared to shooting unsuppressed. The TK has less back pressure due to one less baffle at the expense of being louder, not by much but it’s noticeable if not wearing ear pro. I do run all three with YHM direct thread adapter for weight savings and the shortest length possible. Bang for the buck is strong with the YHM cans in my opinion and if I encounter a problem I have faith YHM will take care of me.

I’ve reached out to ECCO and he wasn’t optimistic about upgrading the T2/TK to the T3/TK RB. I reached out to YHM and Kevin responded stating there is no option to upgrade the T2/TK to the T3/TK RB at this time. As was already mentioned, it’s easy to get caught up in the latest and greatest but in the end I think you’ll be extremely happy with a 16” or 14.5” barrel and a short K can. You may find you actually prefer it and no longer care to shoot any of your ar15 platforms without a suppressor.

Quote Originally Posted by EJO View Post
    I’ve reached out to ECCO and he wasn’t optimistic about upgrading the T2/TK to the T3/TK RB. I reached out to YHM and Kevin responded stating there is no option to upgrade the T2/TK to the T3/TK RB at this time. As was already mentioned, it’s easy to get caught up in the latest and greatest but in the end I think you’ll be extremely happy with a 16” or 14.5” barrel and a short K can. You may find you actually prefer it and no longer care to shoot any of your ar15 platforms without a suppressor.
    By chance I happened to get a response today from YHM saying the same thing about T2/TK>T3/RB.

Unfortunate, but hopefully if they get enough inquiries they'll be able to work something out.

This thread is all over the place, but I’ll chime in and say that I’m a lefty who shoots an 11.5” and 14.5” suppressed all the time. Mine happen to be PWS piston guns and the cans are Dead Air Sandman S and K.

I’m particularly sensitive to gas blowback and chose overbored .30 cal cans for my .223 application. Some observations that may be relevant:

1. The S can at 17 ounces makes the 14.5” too unwieldy for me. At that point, I’d prefer to use it as a bench rifle.
    2. The K can on an 11.5” sounds like almost no can at all. Concussion is reduced, so it’s more pleasant to shoot, but perceived sound reduction is quite minimal.
    3. If it’s any indication of back pressure, I run the S can with gas block setting 3 (smallest port) while the K can runs on setting 2 (same setting as unsuppressed brass-cased ammo).
    4. Even with the piston rifles, I still notice some gas coming out the ejection port, especially with the S can.

For an all-around rifle, I’d go with a mid-length 14.5” and K can. Get the proper gas port and use a heavier H3 buffer to delay the bolt opening and push more gas down the barrel. With all that said, the industry is moving towards low backpressure designs and I’m waiting on feds’ blessing for a Huxwrx Flow 556k.

By chance I happened to get a response today from YHM saying the same thing about T2/TK>T3/RB.

Unfortunate, but hopefully if they get enough inquiries they'll be able to work something out.
    I wonder if they’re just too busy or if they just have zero interest? Kevin also stated “ The bore of the new Turbo T3 is the same as previous models. We achieved the reduced back pressure by making some changes to the internal baffle geometry and integrating porting to provide venting within the suppressor itself. This is not designed to be a flow-through suppressor like some others on the market but is a significant improvement over the previous generation of the Turbo T2”.

They are inexpensive enough I think I’ll just purchase a T3. Plus I could compare it to my T2

I’ve thought about buying a Turbo T3 and dedicating it to my 11.5” and dedicating the Turbo K currently on the 11.5” to the 16.” I’m waiting to see if YHM decides to sell a SKU that comes with the sRx adapter so I don’t end up with a second set of Phantom muzzle devices and adapters I don’t have a use for.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I’ve thought about buying a Turbo T3 and dedicating it to my 11.5” and dedicating the Turbo K currently on the 11.5” to the 16.” I’m waiting to see if YHM decides to sell a SKU that comes with the sRx adapter so I don’t end up with a second set of Phantom muzzle devices and adapters I don’t have a use for.

@WobblyPossum

I wouldn’t hold my breath. Kevin also shared the following when I asked.

During our development of the Turbo line we found that using the full size Phantom adapter that ships with the Turbo provided roughly 3-4 dB's of reduction over the Kurz adapter when compared side to side due to the increase in blast chamber volume. This is the reason we chose to ship all of our Q.D. suppressors with the full size Phantom adapter and allow the consumer to decide if they'd rather have the length/weight savings the Kurz adapter provides. The same applies with our SRX system.

Quote Originally Posted by EJO View Post
    I wonder if they’re just too busy or if they just have zero interest? Kevin also stated “ The bore of the new Turbo T3 is the same as previous models. We achieved the reduced back pressure by making some changes to the internal baffle geometry and integrating porting to provide venting within the suppressor itself. This is not designed to be a flow-through suppressor like some others on the market but is a significant improvement over the previous generation of the Turbo T2”.

They are inexpensive enough I think I’ll just purchase a T3. Plus I could compare it to my T2
    Great stuff, thanks for sharing all this.

That's interesting on the T3/RB not being a true flow through design, and one of the reasons I'd really like to see a comparison video (or metrics of some type) on the back-pressure and gas to face to the T2. For instance, with the video that TFBTV did comparing the Surefire RC2 and RC3 back to back, there's no doubt it's a significant difference....it's very dramatic. If I'm going to spend the money on another suppressor, I might as well go for an actual flow through instead of an incremental improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Similarly, I've wanted a 12.5" or 13.7" gun with a lightweight barrel and DD RIS III. If the Turbo K can't be upgraded to a RB, I might do something along the lines of an extreme reduced gas port from Sionics and dedicate my current Turbo K to direct thread on the gun, and then get flow throughs for my other 3 Mk18s and Filippino MSSR.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-01-2023 at 05:26 PM.

User Tag List