Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: AR for use with suppressor

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Dude, I dunno what your problem is, honestly. I don't know if we're just talking past each other, or if one of us simply isn't reading the posts. Maybe it's me.

My point was - piston guns are nice but they do not solve the issue of overgassing when a can is put on the gun, not %100. Not a conventional can, anyway. The problems with it moved from one set of components to another set, but just because it's now piston driven vs what everyone likes to call DI (even if it technically isn't), doesn't mean the problems of overgassing, bolt thrust, and dirt/crud is now ameliorated.

Honestly, I don't understand what your issue is? Seriously, what's the beef?
    The fella in question is one of our remaining SMEs. He’s a wealth of practical knowledge on this very subject. In fact, he is responsible for some of the recent positive developments in rifle suppressor tech owing to his operational experience.
    I’m nobody important but I pull up a chair when he shows up so I might learn something I might have to pay to gain otherwise.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Odin Bravo One View Post
    When did this place open up to the douche patrol?

When anyone on this board gets anywhere near a fraction of the the round count of experience with these systems as I managed to rack up in my 30 years of LE and SOF experience, to include the entire testing protocols for 2 of the 3 systems mentioned, wants to add value to the discussion I’m game.

Until then; I’ll leave the speculative thinking and downright dumb assery to ya’all.

It was fun while it lasted. Hopefully TLG isn’t rolling his eyes too much for how this place has turned out.
    What was your experience with them in SOF? Everything I'm aware of was pretty meh and the only ones that adopted the 416 was a SMU and they didn't stick with them for long IIRC. USASOC didn't seem to be impressed enough to buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    What was your experience with them in SOF?
    In particular, compared to the traditional DI systems.

This is us asking you to share the specifics of your knowledge, Sean. It's not us questioning the legitimacy of your Budweiser, whether you've BTDT, or whatever.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    What was your experience with them in SOF? Everything I'm aware of was pretty meh and the only ones that adopted the 416 was a SMU and they didn't stick with them for long IIRC. USASOC didn't seem to be impressed enough to buy them.

The USMC was apparently impressed enough to conduct a massive "rope a dope" (m27 IAR program) to backdoor their way into 416s for all combat units....

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The USMC was apparently impressed enough to conduct a massive "rope a dope" (m27 IAR program) to backdoor their way into 416s for all combat units....
    I'm aware, they obviously found something they liked but SOF procurement tends to be a little more fluid and the ones that picked up any form of piston 5.56 moved on in relative short order it seems. I know of at least one CIF team that tested them back in the day that didn't think the trade offs were worth shelving their M4s. I don't pay attention to any of the other branches or subsequent cloning scene so I'm not sure if they're still in use with NSW or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I don't believe suppression performance was a factor in the M27 program. The only USMC units running suppressors up until the last few years when they went to all victor units (which were mainly MARSOC and RTTs) weren't even using HK416s for said suppressor use.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List