Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Sausage Gravy Recipe

Wanted: Sausage Gravy Recipe

...because the stuff from a jar sucks (insert bad thing here).

Surely someone here has a Southern grandma with a killer sausage gravy recipe.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Following!!

Per my wife…

1-3 lbs sausage, depending on how much you want to make. She mixes maple and spicy sausage (for biscuits and gravy). Cook it until cooked through and crumbly. Then slowly add flour until it won’t absorb any more. Then add milk to the desired consistency. Season to taste. She uses Lawry’s, sometimes Cajun seasoning, up to you. Stir frequently. You can cover and simmer to thicken, and milk to thin, etc.

Site Supporter
    My wife's method is similar to dogcaller's and I absolutely love it.

She uses spicy hot Bob Evans bulk sausage. Cooks it in a pan and starts adding flour once the sausage has cooked most of the way. Then at the right time she adds whole milk and lets it simmer while stirring until it reaches the right consistency. I think she adds some black pepper too. Yum.

Site Supporter
    The above recipe sounds legit. I'd suggest whole milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    ...She uses spicy hot Bob Evans bulk sausage. Cooks it in a pan and starts adding flour once the sausage has cooked most of the way. Then at the right time she adds whole milk and lets it simmer while stirring until it reaches the right consistency. I think she adds some black pepper too...
    This but change the pathetic "some" on the black pepper to "if you have to ask if it is enough, keep grinding." While a lot of people like seasoned gravy, I find it to be gilding the lily at best and ruining a good meal at worst. Much the same for overly cakey biscuits. Alton Brown's recipe is a good place to start until you get a feel for eyeballing fat, flour, and milk. Speaking of his recipe, it shows a good brown from a well cooked roux versus some people trying to keep the gravy white. Embrace the beige:

https://altonbrown.com/wprm_print/2348

Pretty much all the above except add some butter and a little nutmeg to the ingredients.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

There’s a little restaurant near the county line that puts corn meal in the gravy. Gives it a yellow color and it’s absolutely delicious.

It makes me feel old going in there though as my wife used to babysit the owner back in the mid 90s.

As others have said, sausage, milk flour and pepper are the main ingredients. Cook sausage. Then add flour. You are effectively making a rue with the flour /grease. I recommend letting that cook for a while but don't burn it before adding milk. Keep the heat low till it thickens then add pepper and any other seasoning desired.

Measurements not really needed but depending on fat content of the sausage the amount of flour goes up. I cook gravy by sight but 1/3-1/2 cup of flour for 2-3 lbs of sausage is a reasonable guess. Since I use large cast iron skillets almost exclusively, when I fill the skillet with milk I am probably adding 4 or so cups of milk....
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Site Supporter
    Ok here goes…

Cook a pound of breakfast sausage and crumble it as you are cooking it. Remove from the pan.

The next step is going to require bacon grease, you do save your bacon grease don’t you?

Take a 50/50 mix of bacon grease and butter combined with the sausage grease to equal about 2 tbs of oil.

Add equal amounts of Wondra flour to the grease along with any seasonings you are choosing to add. Adding your seasoning at this point will allow the essential oils in them to come out better. But be warned if you go heavy on the hotter spices, the longer it cooks the spicier it gets. The mixture should look about like wet sand. Stir to combine and toast on medium heat for about 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly. It could take a bit longer the higher you are in altitude. Ultimately you want about 4-5 ounces of roux to 1 quart of liquid.

Take one quart of whole milk and stir to combine with the roux. Between the Wondra flour and the cold milk, as long as you stir constantly when mixing, you shouldn’t get any lumps. Bring the mixture to a simmer. The great thing about the Wondra flour is it thickens and cooks the flour taste off quicker than normal flour. At this point, I mix my sausage back it.

Allow the gravy to cook at a low simmer until it is thickened, coats the back of a spoon nicely and the flour taste has all been cooked out.

Remove from the heat and stir in a Tbs of butter and 1/4 to 1/3 cup of sour cream. Add Kosher Salt, Pepper, garlic powder and onion powder to taste.

So notes about my cream gravy theories:

A lot of folks will swear by buttermilk for cream gravy. To me, it is just too tangy for all of the liquid to be buttermilk. I haven’t tried mixing buttermilk with whole milk but I suppose you could. I like a little tanginess to my gravy and the sour cream scratches that itch. I also like to use sour cream for that because we ALWAYS have sour cream and I don’t have to make a special trip if I get a hankering for gravy.

Wondra flour is the BOMB for simple, quick gravies. Using Wondra cuts the simmer time but 1/2 to 2/3rds.

I like to season at the end so I have more control over the taste.

The method above also works great if you want a cream gravy to go with ground beef for S.O.S.

Any feedback you have is welcome.

ETA: Leave out the sausage and add in about 2lbs of shredded (insert favorite cheese here) at the end and you a great Mac & Cheese.
    Last edited by Archimagirus; 10-29-2023 at 10:13 PM.

User Tag List