Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sling/Fanny pack for CCW hiking and mountain biking?

Sling/Fanny pack for CCW hiking and mountain biking?

I currently have a LA Police Gear fanny pack that is just "ok". It has a nylon webbing and velcro holster that holds my G26 pretty well. The issue with this fanny pack is that it only has a 1 inch wide strap so it tends to dig into my waist. It also rolls over when worn as a sling. I think a wider strap like 2 or or 2.5 inches with padding will help prevent that. Any recommendations for a fanny that can double as a sling? The sling packs I see are huge--like full size backpacks--I'd like a more compact one. This sling or fanny pack/sling combo should be able to be worn when actively hiking or mountain biking. Thanks in advance.

I recently picked up a Kelty sling bag that was mentioned here, it or one of their other offerings may be worth a look. Quality is quite good for the price.

https://www.kelty.com/sling-bag/
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    The default answer here is often a Hill People Gear Kit Bag.

I have and use one myself.

They have different sizes and a couple different styles to accommodate your needs.

It's more of a chest bag than sling or waist pack but is secure and stable and may be worth looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I recently picked up a Kelty sling bag that was mentioned here, it or one of their other offerings may be worth a look. Quality is quite good for the price.

The Kelty sling would be my choice too.

Check Hill people gear Fanny and chest packs.

Site Supporter
    I have a Hill People Gear kit bag and a fanny pack. Access to my pistol is definitely faster with the kit bag. I don't have as much time with the fanny pack, but it is the same pouch as the kit bag, just sewn to a 1.5" waist belt. The belt is plenty long enough for me to use as a sling pack. I've not used it like as a sling pack but I think a somewhat stiffer strap would make it better suited for this purpose. The Kelty sounds like a good match for your application, but also check Mystery Ranch. I have a MR fanny pack too, but prefer the smaller HPG.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I have a Hill People Gear kit bag and a fanny pack. Access to my pistol is definitely faster with the kit bag. I don't have as much time with the fanny pack, but it is the same pouch as the kit bag, just sewn to a 1.5" waist belt. The belt is plenty long enough for me to use as a sling pack. I've not used it like as a sling pack but I think a somewhat stiffer strap would make it better suited for this purpose. The Kelty sounds like a good match for your application, but also check Mystery Ranch. I have a MR fanny pack too, but prefer the smaller HPG.
    I just did some more looking. Vertx and 5.11 look to have good offerings too.

Site Supporter
    HPG Recon is what I use for those kinds of things.

I have a Hill People Gear Runners bag but I honestly don't use it much because I prefer not having that bag on my chest block airflow when I ride, especially in the summer. As an alternative I got the Camelbak Repack. https://www.camelbak.com/shop/deals/...lor=Camelflage
    I like having the small bladder for water and the waist belt is wider and padded on the hips. It's very comfortable. My standard load out is the bladder, Shield Plus, extra mag, wallet, phone, and some bike tools. I run my spare tube and CO2s on my bike.

Camelbak makes a bigger MULE waist back that is a little bigger that I've been considering.
    https://www.camelbak.com/shop/packs/...color=Gunmetal

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post

Are there any pictures of the inside of the Kelty sling bag?

User Tag List