Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock and the breechface cut

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    What’s the crown?
    Image serach Google for: Glock Marksman Barrel Crown
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Out of curiosity, does your 42 have forward serrations? Anecdotally, it seems like the breech face cut, appeared at the same time as the forward serrations.
    I read this & wondered when the hell they started offering 42's with factory fcs...my disappointment overfloweth.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    Gen 3 and Gen 4 do not. For current production Gen5 marked pistols, yes. @GJM is correct that the BFC correlates with forward serrations. The only exception I am aware of is current production 43s which have the cut (and crown as well).

I really wish that the BFC was magic and allowed proper ejection when there is no magazine present - some pistols do and some don't.
    The BFC originated in 43/43x to pass testing for duty use by a large .GOV agency. It was then incorporated into the already existing Gen 5 as an inline change.

The BFC makes enough of a difference it is required for approval of personal (POW) Gen 5s.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The BFC originated in 43/43x to pass testing for duty use by a large .GOV agency. It was then incorporated into the already existing Gen 5 as an inline change.

The BFC makes enough of a difference it is required for approval of personal (POW) Gen 5s.
    Cool fact on the BFC origins - I had Internet-heard several other explanations.

No doubt about the efficacy of the BFC with ejection - the first time I took my silver slide 43X to the range I was worried that the recoil spring was bad, it was (and still does) throwing them with vigor.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Why is it important that the gun properly eject empty casings without a magazine in place? That’s not how the gun is meant to function. Also, is how a Glock ejects without a magazine in place at all related to how it would eject with a magazine in place? What’s the scenario in which that’s something you’d encounter? Having to fire the chambered round in the middle of a tac reload where both mags are in your hand and neither is in the gun? I know a lot of people like the 10-8 extractor test for 1911s but a Glock isn’t a 1911. I’ve never seen any actual information showing that a Glock which can reliably eject empties without a magazine in place is more or less reliable when actually used as intended than one which doesn’t reliably eject empties without a magazine in place.
    IIRC, back during the Gen 3 brass to face debacle the poor ejection with no mag correlated to guns that either had the BTF problem or were likely to develop the problem. It wasn't so much a stand alone test as it was a diagnostic tool.

All I know is after this happened BTF seems to have gone away in Gen 5s

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    IIRC, back during the Gen 3 brass to face debacle the poor ejection with no mag correlated to guns that either had the BTF problem or were likely to develop the problem. It wasn't so much a stand alone test as it was a diagnostic tool.
    Old thread on the 10-8 test with Glocks with interesting commentary by @Wayne Dobbs:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....thout-Magazine

I used to get spun up about the BTF issue since we never really experienced it with the roughly 250 a year new shooters we trained using Gen 2 or 3 Glocks. My experience was that BTF is the product of incorrect technique - weak or low grip, etc. Fix that and you fixed BTF in our experience.

Now, I've let it go and am happy that Glock has been able to get their pistols to function under all conditions. The thought being at some point I may experience a situation where kicking and gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer makes that a desired feature.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I used to get spun up about the BTF issue since we never really experienced it with the roughly 150 (not 250 as origibally posted) a year new shooters we trained using Gen 2 or 3 Glocks. My experience was that BTF is the product of incorrect technique - weak or low grip, etc. Fix that and you fixed BTF in our experience.

Now, I've let it go and am happy that Glock has been able to get their pistols to function under all conditions. The thought being at some point I may experience a situation where kicking and gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer makes that a desired feature.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I guess it wouldn't have been as big a deal if other guns did it too. But when you can shoot Berettas, HK P7s, P2000s, USPS, P30s, Walther P99, PPQ,PDP,, 1911s, BHPs, M&Ps, Fnx, Classic Sigs, 320s and everything else under the sun without it happening it becomes harder and harder to justify just not fixing the issue. Fortunately they did, I noticed the VP9 has a similar cut.

User Tag List