Thread: MK318 as a Barrier Blind Round for The Citizen Shooter

MK318 as a Barrier Blind Round for The Citizen Shooter

Before CV hit in 2020, I took advantage of Walmart's SJW look on pistol ammo and military cartridges, along with the prices we would deem "a steal" compared to today's prices. I noticed that one thing I have failed to do is stock up on plenty of OTMs and bonded JSPs. I have like 7 boxes boxes of Federal Fusion 62gr and Speer GDSP. I can easily acquire more Hornady 75gr TAP T2. What I do have is a little over a case of MK318. Enough to sight in a carbine, check for function, and stash about 10 mags. Would anyone have any qualms about this load for barrier use?

Yes, I am a Joe Schmoe. No, I dont have any Walter Mitty fantasies. I spend a lot of time on the road, and down on the Texas/Mexican border. Shit has gotten crazy down and out there, I seent it.

Paging @DocGKR...

The list hasn't been updated since 2012.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I do remember the good Dr. saying it tended to over penetrate too much for most CONUS defensive use. Out in rural areas it would not be as much as a liability.

Subscribed because I am curious as well, with my various issues and budget constraints looking at making 5.56 more of primary caliber than it ever has been for me.

@DocGKR

Did there ever arrive a firm minimum velocity of impact number regarding this rounds "propensity to shed weight from the frontal portion"?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Paging @DocGKR...

The list hasn't been updated since 2012.
    The shotgun load list is out of date as well.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

MK 318 is a bad ass round, ive had to take out a few troublesome porcupines one of which had a head the size of a softball. That round completely blew its head clean off, from the neck up, nothing left. Blew me away... Yeah it penetrates deep, in some cases 24"-30" through bare gel so keep that in mind. Absolutely one of the best barrier rounds out there. Its one of my top 4 go to rounds that include Federals XM556SBCT3 AKA TBBC, bought it cheap and stacked it real deep. Also a big fan of anything in the TSX flavor, 50g, 62g, 70g... Black hills just did a production run of the 50g and 62g TSX stuff so its out there but I suspect wont last to long. Also a big fan of Speers 75g gold dot, very lethal. It does well out of 16" and shorter barrels, its bonded, and is crazy accurate. Whats not to love about it... Out of those four rounds the only ones I have seen available as of late is the 50&62g TSX and 75g gold dot.

User Tag List