Thread: Historic Duelling vs Contemporary Urban Social Relationships

Historic Duelling vs Contemporary Urban Social Relationships

I found that article to be fascinating, thanks.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Excellent read.

Thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I think this article likely makes sense from a liberal arts suburban sort of take. I think it makes much less sense from the elements of society that are most violent. Honor/social standing may now be 'street cred' but the outcomes are similar.

"Triggers of offence are also different. Calling someone a liar or a coward is no longer a deadly serious insult." Depends. In some circles they kill each other over who gets to use the good Xbox controller. Being seen as 'hard' is more important than being alive, if people don't think you're 'hard' you're a victim. It's not terribly far off from the honor culture embracing dueling, just with much fewer formal rules.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Victor Davis Hanson wrote about honor cultures from the antebellum Southern US to modern gangs.

Victor Davis Hanson wrote about honor cultures from the antebellum Southern US to modern gangs.

User Tag List