Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .38 Special Wadcutter Chrono Data

Site Supporter

.38 Special Wadcutter Chrono Data

Just a real quick note. I've chronoed two different factory wadcutter loads from my M49 with its 1-7/8" barrel. Both are current production. I just shot five rounds from each because I wanted ballpark info.

Federal GMM went 689 fps with an SD of 7; R-P Targetmaster went 673 fps with an SD of 8. Smokiness was about the same between them.

Just FYI.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    I've owned several 49's and all shot great. I still have the Airweight version. The last time I fired it was at the end of a dove hunt 4 years ago. I had begun to get sick and just went along to make the guys act right. I drew and fired twice double action at a duck decoy 80 yards away. Both shots hit. I admit that luck was involved. However, I wasted my youth doing stunt shooting and still had some skill. I stopped while ahead. Let me repeat that I was lucky. My buds think that I can shoot better than I can. I must point out that this type of shooting has almost no application in self defense because it's an example of advanced plinking and not much else. People remember the hits and forget about the misses.

Fed 148 GMM went 601 in my 442 and 656 in my 4" M-10. Win 148 WC went 649 in my 442 and 678 in my M-10. It was 50 degrees that day.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I must point out that this type of shooting has almost no application in self defense because it's an example of advanced plinking and not much else.
    I respectfully disagree. If word gets out that you shoot that well, then it might deter people from messing with you.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Here's some handloads, if anyone cares:

Powder: Red Dot

Bullet: Berry's 148gr plated HBWC

Casings: Mixed nickel standard pressure, non wadcutter marked

Primer: Winchester SPP

Firearm: S&W 67-2

2.6gr - 616, 634, 614, 635, 654

2.8gr - 581, 609, 623, 595, error (bad lighting)

3.0gr - 714, 733, 723, 675, 750

3.2gr - 611*, 726, 727, 726, 732 *could be a bad read, chrono was in shade

3.2gr - 707, 648, 695, 740, 759

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Fed 148 GMM went 601 in my 442 and 656 in my 4" M-10. Win 148 WC went 649 in my 442 and 678 in my M-10. It was 50 degrees that day.
    An old red and white box of GMM went ~635 from my 642, as did my handload of 2.8 grains of Bullseye under a 148-grain Zero flat-base wadcutter. I think it was Mark Fricke who said that a wadcutter needs at least 620 fps to penetrate adequately.

I wish I could use wadcutters in my 642. It shoots them high, but shoots to POA with 125-130-grain ammo. OTOH, my 49 shoots the wadcutters to POA and is loaded with them.

My local gun club apparently bought a case of the R-P load and sells them for $45/box, tax included. Not cheap, but I'll probably buy them out one box at a time.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    An old red and white box of GMM went ~635 from my 642, as did my handload of 2.8 grains of Bullseye under a 148-grain Zero flat-base wadcutter. I think it was Mark Fricke who said that a wadcutter needs at least 620 fps to penetrate adequately.

I wish I could use wadcutters in my 642. It shoots them high, but shoots to POA with 125-130-grain ammo. OTOH, my 49 shoots the wadcutters to POA and is loaded with them.

My local gun club apparently bought a case of the R-P load and sells them for $45/box, tax included. Not cheap, but I'll probably buy them out one box at a time.
    https://www.bearcreeksupplybullets.com/38spec125dewc

I’ve never tried the 125 DEWC but I’ve shot a fair amount of their 148 and they are great.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    620 fps with a 148-grain wadcutter will produce just over 15 inches of penetration.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    620 fps with a 148-grain wadcutter will produce just over 15 inches of penetration.

Is that through clear gel or 4 layer barrier (in 20% ballistic gel)?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    Is that through clear gel or 4 layer barrier (in 20% ballistic gel)?
    Neither.

The prediction was for performance in 10% ordnance gelatin (≈ mammalian soft tissue). Clear Gel is not compatible with the mathematical modeling used to compute the value, so its use was never assumed.

Apologies for the lack of specification.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List