Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who do we like for 2011 optic slide milling these days?

Chambers Custom rdsm plate. They do not do the work but have a select few smiths around the country they allow to provide the cut and plate install. I went this route with my 2020 iron sighted Staccato P. I had Dave Laubert from Defensice Creations do the cut and plate install. Highly recommend both the Chambers RDSM and Dave’s work. Communication was fantastic and turn around was like two weeks (2021 time frame).

C&H just called. My slide has arrived. The work should be done in about a week.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Optic milling

GUNCUTS.COM

I just got a call from the fellow who will be machining my slide. The existing optics holes will interfere with the new holes needed to attach the cross plate. He's going to move the placement back to clear the existing holes. He says this shouldn't cause any issues but it will require the removal of the little back wall that can be seen here.

We'll see how well it works. Will the deletion of this buttress cause issues or will the four attachment screws and the cross pattern interace be enough to hold everything tight?

My Girsan 2011 copy slide is back. Door to door I guess was right about 10 days. I would have had it yesterday but it got delayed in Atlanta.

The work looks good. The rear sight is kind of towering but it should look fine with a corresponding taller front sight and a 509 clamped on.

It will be awhile yet before I have the gun all put back together. As mentioned in the Girsan thread I'll probably send the gun to Marty Enloe in Phoenix and have him fix a few issues.

Note that the screws are witness marked. I'd pull the plate off to see what the machining looks like but I don't want to goof up C&H's mounting work. Not just yet anyway. Also note that the rear sight sits flush with the back of the slide instead of being inset with a wall to brace against fore and aft movement. The tech at C&H said it should not be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Also note that the rear sight sits flush with the back of the slide instead of being inset with a wall to brace against fore and aft movement. The tech at C&H said it should not be a problem.
    I did some research on that before sending my slides off, and from what I can tell that's correct, just based on seeing that it happens with other systems. As a quick example, Nighthawk's IOS leaves RMR footprint optics without a back wall. Not the same as the plate itself being un-backed but similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I did some research on that before sending my slides off, and from what I can tell that's correct, just based on seeing that it happens with other systems. As a quick example, Nighthawk's IOS leaves RMR footprint optics without a back wall. Not the same as the plate itself being un-backed but similar.
    The cross plate itself has a recessed section that sits on a raised section on the slide. I assume this interface and the four mounting screws are what provides the majority of the mount stability. At least I hope that is the case.

Here it is slide on frame. This helps sort of put overall size in perspective.

I did test fit my 509T. The recoil lug seems to fit fairly snug into the plate. If the plate itself doesn't work loose it should be a nice setup.

Here is a source for the Atlas plate cut:

https://www.abprototype.com/slide-mi...1911-and-2011/

I haven't used AB Prototype for machining but I have bought parts from him previously. No issues in this regard.

User Tag List