Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who do we like for 2011 optic slide milling these days?

Who do we like for 2011 optic slide milling these days?

I’ve been toying with the idea of having one of my OG 2011’s milled for Limited Optics division. Looking for recommendations on who to do the milling and which plate.

Slide is a pre-Stacatto STI slide circa 2014 chambered in 9mm. The slide started out as a blank from STI that a local gunsmith tri-topped and milled for a Bomar rear sight. The slide is fit to a 1911 frame as well as a 2011 frame, and for a while it was my do-all pistol for everything from USPSA SS minor, to IDPA ESP, hi-cap 3-gun pistol, Steel Challenge pistol, etc. Unfortunately aging eyes eventually caught up to me and now I’m a dot shooter.

Being an original STI slide, it’s a “series 70” with no FPB so I’m hoping as a result the optic pocket can be milled fairly low. Local gunsmith who built the gun is no longer in business, otherwise I’d be hitting him up. This is intended as a comp gun, no rear sight is needed.

As far as which optic, I mainly have Trijicon and Holosun sights, so will probably stick with that optic footprint. I did consider going to a RDS with a narrower mounting footprint such as the Leupold DPP so it can be direct milled without a plate, but I like the SRO for comp and already have a pair of Shadow 2’s with SROs that I run in Carry Optics.

Ideally I’d like the optic to sit as low as possible. I have considered an EGW dovetail plate for the Bomar cut, but I’m ready to do a full-send to convert this gun to an optic so I can shoot it again rather than be a safe queen.

So far I’ve looked at CHPWS, Vulcan Gunworks, and Impact Machine. Any others?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    I’ve been toying with the idea of having one of my OG 2011’s milled for Limited Optics division. Looking for recommendations on who to do the milling and which plate.

Slide is a pre-Stacatto STI slide circa 2014 chambered in 9mm. The slide started out as a blank from STI that a local gunsmith tri-topped and milled for a Bomar rear sight. The slide is fit to a 1911 frame as well as a 2011 frame, and for a while it was my do-all pistol for everything from USPSA SS minor, to IDPA ESP, hi-cap 3-gun pistol, Steel Challenge pistol, etc. Unfortunately aging eyes eventually caught up to me and now I’m a dot shooter.

Being an original STI slide, it’s a “series 70” with no FPB so I’m hoping as a result the optic pocket can be milled fairly low. Local gunsmith who built the gun is no longer in business, otherwise I’d be hitting him up. This is intended as a comp gun, no rear sight is needed.

As far as which optic, I mainly have Trijicon and Holosun sights, so will probably stick with that optic footprint. I did consider going to a RDS with a narrower mounting footprint such as the Leupold DPP so it can be direct milled without a plate, but I like the SRO for comp and already have a pair of Shadow 2’s with SROs that I run in Carry Optics.

Ideally I’d like the optic to sit as low as possible. I have considered an EGW dovetail plate for the Bomar cut, but I’m ready to do a full-send to convert this gun to an optic so I can shoot it again rather than be a safe queen.

So far I’ve looked at CHPWS, Vulcan Gunworks, and Impact Machine. Any others?

TIA
    My research indicates that Bomar and LPA sight cuts are too deep to be removed by milling for a red dot. This leaves the EGW plate that fits in the sight cut the only option. I hope this isn’t true.

I did get an email from Impact Machine that seemed to indicate they would try it, but I haven’t pursued it yet.

Maybe start with a new slide without any dovetails cut?

Quote Originally Posted by Norther View Post
    My research indicates that Bomar and LPA sight cuts are too deep to be removed by milling for a red dot. This leaves the EGW plate that fits in the sight cut the only option. I hope this isn’t true.

I did get an email from Impact Machine that seemed to indicate they would try it, but I haven’t pursued it yet.
    The Bomar/LPA thing is a bummer if true.

Its on my list to contact Impact Machine, so good to hear they may have a fix for the Bomar/LPA conversion. I’ve heard good things about them (CZ related) but figure their craftsmanship and business dealings ought to translate over to 2011s. I’d be curious if they would do their RDOMS cut on a 2011/1911 slide so the optic could be direct milled instead of having to cut it for a plate. RDOMs is the optic cut that Fire4Effect developed to deal with the narrow CZ Shadow 2/SP-01 slides, and Impact Machine bought the patent when F4E went out of business (or so I’ve heard). Both my Shadow 2’s have the RDOMs cut and it’s solid.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino on INGO View Post
    Maybe start with a new slide without any dovetails cut?
    The whole point is to re-purpose an existing slide that I already own. If I was to start over I’d go with a Vudoo Priest.

I found these guys:

https://twosee.us/?page_id=283

Sent them an email and ended up talking to the owner for a bit. 2C is kinda a small milling shop, not really looking to be big. But quick turn around and reasonable prices. What I like about their 2C-XX11 optic plate system is it mounts the optic pretty low and far enough back that the hood of a SRO doesn’t overhang the breach face. It costs you room for the rear sight but for me that is a non-factor.

I did ask about the Bomar cut, and he said that’s not going to be a problem. 2 main reasons: they mill the optic cut deep enough, and far enough back that the Bomar/LPA cutout is removed. I think if you want to have a dovetail for a rear sight the Bomar/LPA cut messes with leaving enough meat for a dovetail unless you use a plate that has a built in rear sight like the Trijicon 1911 plate.

What kind of lead time did they give you for an optic cut?

And I'm also interested in getting a Bomar cut on my 2C. Can you provide any more details about how 2C mills the optic cut deep enough and far enough back to remove the Bomar/LPA cutout?

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    I found these guys:

https://twosee.us/?page_id=283

Sent them an email and ended up talking to the owner for a bit. 2C is kinda a small milling shop, not really looking to be big. But quick turn around and reasonable prices. What I like about their 2C-XX11 optic plate system is it mounts the optic pretty low and far enough back that the hood of a SRO doesn’t overhang the breach face. It costs you room for the rear sight but for me that is a non-factor.
    Did you ask what screws they use, and if it is flat on the bottom or has some sort of interlocking design?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Another option is ATEi. They mill 2011 slides for the Trijicon mount.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeNCMX View Post
    Another option is ATEi. They mill 2011 slides for the Trijicon mount.
    This shop is far less expensive for the Trijicon plate. Also offering other sight cuts for the 1911 or 2011

https://www.namelessarms.com/product...on-rmr-adapter

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

User Tag List