Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm 124 grain JHP factory load that will reliably hit 1,200 f/s out of 3.6-3.7" barre

9mm 124 grain JHP factory load that will reliably hit 1,200 f/s out of 3.6-3.7" barre

A number of the better name 9mm 124 grain JHP loadings on the market will hit 1150-1175 f/s out of 3.6-3.7" barrels. All the usual suspects come to mind (HST, Gold Dot, etc.) Are there any that will reliably average at/over 1200 f/s?

There seem to be a number of decent 9mm handguns with barrels lengths in the range given. I realize the difference between 1150-1175 and 1200 f/s is pretty minor. But I'd like a round that gets there. Are there any? Would like to stay with SAAMI max +P.
    Last edited by BBMW; 10-22-2023 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Thought of something to add

I'm far from an expert, but it seems like a specific JHP is generally designed to perform well in a given envelope. The farther toward either end of the bell curve you get the less likely it is your bullet will perform as designed. So your given bullet might actually do better at 1100 than 1200fps. That said 1200fps out of essentially a G26 barrel sounds a little far-fetched. Take this with a huge grain of salt, but I seem to remember Gold Dot to be slightly more agnostic to MV than HST, but HST expanded more reliably within it's optimal MV than most other JHP. I do not have a source to back that up, so take it FWIW.

Buffalo Bore has a few hot 9x19 loadings that might get you what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    A number of the better name 9mm 124 grain JHP loadings on the market will hit 1150-1175 f/s out of 3.6-3.7" barrels. All the usual suspects come to mind (HST, Gold Dot, etc.) Are there any that will reliably average at/over 1200 f/s?

There seem to be a number of decent 9mm handguns with barrels lengths in the range given. I realize the difference between 1150-1175 and 1200 f/s is pretty minor. But I'd like a round that gets there. Are there any? Would like to stay with SAAMI max +P.
    Underwood lists a 124 jhp @1225 in +P. +P+ the report gets to 1300fps. I do not know what there test barrels are, but I suspect 4 inches or better.
    No disrespect intended, but my thought is the juice may be not worth the squeeze. +P is ok-I qualify with it a couple of times per year-but chasing a specification can lead one down a rabbit hole.
    YMMV-best of luck.

Underwood lists a 124 jhp @1225 in +P. +P+ the report gets to 1300fps. I do not know what there test barrels are, but I suspect 4 inches or better.
    No disrespect intended, but my thought is the juice may be not worth the squeeze. +P is ok-I qualify with it a couple of times per year-but chasing a specification can lead one down a rabbit hole.
    YMMV-best of luck.

Edit to add: I haven't shot anything living with UW, but the couple of hundred rounds I have shot, have been high quality.

If you gave a reason why you want that velocity, may be people here could
    find you a solution because you may be chasing the wrong thing. Velocity in and of itself is meaningless in duty handgun rounds.

Ranger 127 +P+ might do it. Plenty of 115 +P rounds will do it. I’m not immediately aware of big box 124 +P rounds that will give 1200 from something like a G26. Boutique makers, as noted, can do it, but that’s some seriously spicy ammo. Juice not = squeeze, IMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Ranger 127 +P+ might do it. Plenty of 115 +P rounds will do it. I’m not immediately aware of big box 124 +P rounds that will give 1200 from something like a G26. Boutique makers, as noted, can do it, but that’s some seriously spicy ammo. Juice not = squeeze, IMO.
    That's what I came up with as well. The test gun was an M&P 9C, which should be a 3.5 in barrel IIRC: https://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-127-...rounds#geltest
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

I tested +P and +P+ out of a G26 and compared it to 357 Sig out of a G33 and there was only about 30-40 fps between the +P+ and 357 Sig. I'll have to dig up my notes to see what the actual velocities wound up being.

Based on chrono work in recent years, the HST 124+P has been loaded quite warm... I've gotten a hair over 1200 from two different lots in a G43X (3.41"), and 1230-1240 from 4" Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Out of a 3" Barrel 5 rounds averaged 1183

User Tag List