Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: On duty vs off duty guns - grip angles

Site Supporter
    You may not be overthinking at all. I think it depends on the individual. For me, grip shape now seems to matter. In the past I have not seen too much of a difference between different guns. A timer has shown me that I was probably incorrect. I recently attended a class where time and score was very apparent. I ran a G19 with a LTT grip anchor and a G45. I was consistently better with the G19. Enough so that I traded my issued G45 for a G19. It works for both overt "on duty" carry and "off duty" covert carry. When I want/need smaller/ban state compliant characteristics, the G26 works just fine.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

In the best case scenario every time you put on a gun you do a few dry draws and presentations with it before leaving the house. That’s one benefit to having 2 of the same gun, having one for dry work you don’t have to load and unload everyday.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

The issue gun will be a G17 or G22 so whichever one I get I’ll have to carry that one on duty.
    G17 will be my choice if given a choice, but I was fine with the G22 when I worked there the first time.
    I still have my Gen3 G22 RTF2 that I bought from the dept when we went Gen4.

I suppose having a built in excuse to get a G19/G48 isn’t the worst thing in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    I suppose having a built in excuse to get a G19/G48 isn’t the worst thing in the world.
    No, it isn't. The funny thing is that it isn't just the excuse to get a new gun. But then there's the extra mags, sights, grip work or other mods, holsters, mag pouches, etc. Those seem to wind up being the real expense.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

If you train dry consistently with both there is no issue. If you don’t have that time, dry training with your duty gun and using a complimentary compact off duty is probably a good idea especially if carrying your duty gun is too hard to conceal or too uncomfortable to wear.

I’m issued a P226. I’ve carried Glocks off duty for the vast majority of my career. I’ve been frustrated at the difference the grip angles made in my index even with frequent dry practice.

I reduced the hump on my Glocks by heating a flattening the backstraps to mitigate the issue. But since carrying red dotted off duty guns, the slight difference was still noticeable.

Recently I’ve finally been able to bridge the gap to my satisfaction by adding a layer of hook adhesive Velcro to the backstrap of the 226 so that my duty and off duty guns index practically the same. Personally, I’ve found it to make my dry practice more efficient (practicing with one gun has more carry over with the other).

Depends. What level of performance do you hold yourself to? If acing a qual is your standard, then sure you’ll probably be fine with switching platforms.

However, if you’re into “performance” shooting, which I’d assume if you’re here you are, then you’re hurting yourself somewhere. Your index between a Glock and M&P will be different. As will your trigger press. To a lesser extent how you manipulate the gun too.

Using the argument that just because someone has been doing something and getting away with it (Glock on duty, j frame as their off-duty) doesn’t mean that they’re optimizing their setup. When I “can’t carry a gun” I carry a ultralight revolver, but I accept the cost to performance for the ability to have some sort of a gun on me. For daily carry, I wouldn’t choose that handicap as my default.

While some people really can run different platforms to a high level, I know that for myself and most others, there will be some sort of a performance loss somewhere. What is that measured loss in performance, and is that worth it for you? Only you can decide that.

You can mitigate some things, like building up the M&P backstrap and using a GFA/chopped Glock beavertail, but the trigger, slide stop, etc will never be the same.

Carry Glock 45 red dot/light, then off duty 1911, M&P Compact red dot and others. The only thing it does it make me realize how much easier it is to shoot faster with almost anything other than a Glock due to the grip angle. I sure wish M&P had the following with LEO to make them more popular.

I remember several years when Texas DPS looked at going to M&Ps and the rumor was they had so many issues they dumped M&Ps and looked else where, what is really crazy is they went with Sig P320, wondering what they are thinking now, lol.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/te...rns-sig-sauer/
    https://www.texastribune.org/2014/04...over-concerns/
    https://www.policemag.com/weapons/ne...s-duty-handgun

When I began in LE I was issued a DA/SA Sig 229 and mostly carried it or a G19 off duty. Later my department issued G22s and I carried a G23 off duty. For the last 7 years I've been issued an M&P full-size (40, then 9) and during that time I've carried either an M&P Compact or Shield.

In those early days I was single, no kids, and shot both the 229 and G19 frequently. I never noticed any issues. As life got busy with a growing family and less time available for shooting I decided to consolidate platforms to whatever I was issued, Glock, M&P, etc. My thought process was since my training time was limited, fundamentally whatever gun I was shooting, on or off duty, would benefit the other. Disclaimer, I'm not any sort of an incredible shooter but keeping things simple works for me. If tomorrow my department were to switch to Walther, HK, Glock, or whatever I would change my off duty.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I suppose everyone has their own experience, but when pushing to the edges I found different grip angle on similar guns messed with my index.

I had no issue with, say a revolver and a Glock duty pistol, or even a double stack duty pistol and single stack BUG. I did have issues with two double stacks or two revolvers. I think my subconscious brain could readily tell the difference between the different gun types like it would a hammer vs screw driver, but when they both felt like a hammer I had more trouble. YMMV.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List