Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On duty vs off duty guns - grip angles

On duty vs off duty guns - grip angles

So of course after I get my optics ready M&P and have pretty much gone all in on M&P’s , and now I am likely going back to my old department later this year after almost 7 years with my current one.

I currently carry an M&P40 at work, M&P compacts and shields off duty. My old department issues Glocks.

Now I’m thinking with grip angle differences, I should probably go back to Glocks after switching departments for off duty use for consistency.

Anyone have to carry a Glock at work but something with a more 1911/M&P grip angle on their own time?

Or am I over thinking it? LOL

I think you're overthinking it.

When the Shield came out lots of guys carried Glocks on-duty and Shields off duty without issue.

That being said, it makes sense to have consistency across the board.

Definitely overthinking. If officers survived carrying a duty 9mm and a j-frame BUG, you'll probably make it using a Shield off duty.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Very best case we would all carry the company gun all the time, but we all know that isn't always the best answer for various reasons.

I think you'll be fine with the Shield.

Keeping your head in the game with situational awareness and good tactics will have more of an effect on your survival than caliber or gun model or brand.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

I shoot, carry, and train with a variety of guns with a variety of grip angles. Glocks, M&Ps, Walthers, 2011s, P365, etc. I do not see a huge difference between them nor a noticeable re-adaptation curve, if you will, when going from one to the other.

If you're not mandated by policy to use Glocks off-duty, use what works best for you.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Thanks everyone!

Or just run a G19 all the time, duty and off-duty....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I used to carry different guns on duty vs. off. A lot of the guys carried our issue BUG gun off duty, S&W 638. That being said, these days if I was in that boat and I was using optics guns, I would go with the same grip angle. All of the guys saying it doesn't make a difference must be much better shooters than me. I just came off an IDPA season of using different guns including BUG no optic, and the angle definitely makes a difference for me especially in DTFS.

Site Supporter
    Dept gun is a Gen5 G17. On my own time I carry a custom
    X-Macro chopped for 12 round XL mags.

User Tag List