Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: On duty vs off duty guns - grip angles

I have, and still do prioritize point-ability. There is more to it, however, than just grip angle. Some pistols with the same grip angle will NOT all point the same, for elevation, in my hands. Some pistols with differing grip angles will point the same, for elevation, in my hands. A rounded-butt variant of a pistol may well point differently, for elevation, than a squared-butt variant of the same pistol design, in spite of both having the same grip angle.

A 1911 with a flat mainspring housing, S&W J/K/L/N-Frame revolvers, the old-school “Euro” P220, the SIG P226, the SIG P229, and Gen3/4/5 Glocks are examples of various handguns tht do point well, for elevation, in my hands. Not all of these have the same grip angles, on paper.

An “American” P220, and Gen1/2 Glocks do NOT point well, for elevation, in my hands, even though their grip angles match pistols of their respective brands in the preceding list.
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-08-2024 at 11:51 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

My experience only - despite hundreds of thousands of rounds through Glocks over decades, they still "point high" for me. This makes dot acquisition problematic, especially when shooting SHO and WHO. I do NOT experience this with 2011s or P365s that I've acquired within the last three years.

So, FOR ME, if I was required to carry a Glock on duty, I'd do my darndest to carry a Glock off duty. But, again, I'm just one guy, and find myself significantly more sensitive to grip angle issues than many.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    My experience only - despite hundreds of thousands of rounds through Glocks over decades, they still "point high" for me. This makes dot acquisition problematic, especially when shooting SHO and WHO. I do NOT experience this with 2011s or P365s that I've acquired within the last three years.

So, FOR ME, if I was required to carry a Glock on duty, I'd do my darndest to carry a Glock off duty. But, again, I'm just one guy, and find myself significantly more sensitive to grip angle issues than many.
    I agree that the Glock grip angle can be "a thing," especially with a dot, if you are used to other grip angles. Some work arounds:

1) shoot a Glock all the time

2) change the Glock grip angle with after market work (I don't like this option as it is too permanent and I have too many Glocks).

3) use your support index on the trigger guard which levels a Glock for me. Problematic if that isn't your normal grip or you want to use a light.

4) use a Shadow Systems lower with the 1911 back strap.

Name:  IMG_6584.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  46.9 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I agree that the Glock grip angle can be "a thing," especially with a dot, if you are used to other grip angles. Some work arounds:

1) shoot a Glock all the time

2) change the Glock grip angle with after market work (I don't like this option as it is too permanent and I have too many Glocks).

3) use your support index on the trigger guard which levels a Glock for me. Problematic if that isn't your normal grip or you want to use a light.

4) use a Shadow Systems lower with the 1911 back strap.

Name:  IMG_6584.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  46.9 KB
    Or, since I'm retired and don't need to worry about meshing with issued gear, just shoot what you like. In my case, 2011s and 365s. The only Glock I have left is a commemorative "gifted" to me (it was presented at my Farewell, and I promptly cut a check to the team's morale fund for way more than a Glock costs).

ETA - of all your suggestions, that Shadow Systems lower is the most attractive to me. Are they reliable?

My Shadow System pistols have been reliable. I have heard of problems as they grew quickly, but believe those issues were in the slide/barrel. I quite like the Shadow lowers, and the changeable back strap that changes angle is icing on the cake. Hard to beat a G5 Glock upper.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My Shadow System pistols have been reliable. I have heard of problems as they grew quickly, but believe those issues were in the slide/barrel. I quite like the Shadow lowers, and the changeable back strap that changes angle is icing on the cake. Hard to beat a G5 Glock upper.
    I guess I did not know their lowers worked with a Gen5 upper.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I guess I did not know their lowers worked with a Gen5 upper.
    I believe a Gen 5 upper works on a Gen 4 lower, so it makes sense. I tried two Gen 5 19 uppers on two Shadow frames, and both worked.

On duty vs off duty guns - grip angles

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post

I have the same issue except the opposite. Glocks and CZs point naturally for me, while 2011/1911, some Sigs, and Berettas point low. To compensate, I have to break my elbows in a way that’s not as consistent.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Well I used some of my payout for left over vacation and sick time, from my now former department, to pick up a new blue label G48 MOS w/ Night Sights.

Also ordered a JMCK holster today for it to sit in.

My work gun is a brand new Gen5 G17, so this is like the diet version.

I started on Jan 1 with my new/old agency. I had worked there until 7 years ago, when I went to my last place, now I’m back.

User Tag List