Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 77gr .223/5.56 load recommendations?

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/prod...rican-practice

77gr tmk sold in bulk. Shhhhhh

I've found 25gr TAC gets be good velocity and accuracy. I'm my latest build (a none free floated 14.5" Remington m4a1 barrel with a 3x optic) I'm averaging just over 1moa(2.25" @ 200 yards) off a stump.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I also just loaded 1k of these 75gn OTMs from RMR, they are about half of what SMKs go for. No testing yet, still sorting a few things on the rifle they are planned for.

Site Supporter
    https://www.creedmoorsports.com/prod...rican-practice

77gr tmk sold in bulk. Shhhhhh

I've found 25gr TAC gets be good velocity and accuracy. I'm my latest build (a none free floated 14.5" Remington m4a1 barrel with a 3x optic) I'm averaging just over 1moa(2.25" @ 200 yards) off a stump.
    Slightly cheaper at Sheel’s:
    https://www.scheels.com/p/sierra-mat...1=.224&start=1

And free shipping

I stocked up there a few weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Slightly cheaper at Sheel’s:
    https://www.scheels.com/p/sierra-mat...1=.224&start=1

And free shipping

I stocked up there a few weeks ago
    Those are hpbt, not tmk. It's also $160 vs $140 so they're not even cheaper lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I also just loaded 1k of these 75gn OTMs from RMR, they are about half of what SMKs go for. No testing yet, still sorting a few things on the rifle they are planned for.
    I just finished loading 2 batches of them. 1k with shooters world tactical and 1k with TAC. I couldn't find a sub moa load for my SPR so I just loaded them with the best I could do and they do ok. Ateast trajectory will be closer to the TMK and better terminal performance than m193/855

Site Supporter
    Those are hpbt, not tmk. It's also $160 vs $140 so they're not even cheaper lol.
    Whoops- I misread your post as SMK.

Thanks for the tip on TMK- that’s a great price - I may pick some of those up.

As to 77 gr SMK, Sheel’s beat Creedmoor by $5 per 500.

One day back in 2020 when nothing was available I logged into Brownells to show my friend what we were keeping an eye out for, and they had 77gn SMK in stock. With him leaning over my shoulder saying GET EM!!! I ended up buying 4k of them. He got some, I kept some, another friend got some, now I have 1k of them loaded into nice once-fired LC cases. I wanted the RMR to approximate them, so I loaded the same charge of CFE223. I will mostly shoot them at 3gun at a local club where there is a 200yd range they typically use every other month, sometimes with some pesky-small plates. Initially I plan to load up at least one mag of SMK in the case that we get there and the 200yd range is setup, since those will be the load the gun is most precisely zeroed for, and load my other mags with the RMRs. If the RMRs do well enough I will probably just save all of the SMKs for a rainy day.

My calculation is that I can load the RMRs in once-fired range brass I bought for about what 55gn steel case ammo currently costs.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Whoops- I misread your post as SMK.

Thanks for the tip on TMK- that’s a great price - I may pick some of those up.

As to 77 gr SMK, Sheel’s beat Creedmoor by $5 per 500.
    No worries and good to know

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    One day back in 2020 when nothing was available I logged into Brownells to show my friend what we were keeping an eye out for, and they had 77gn SMK in stock. With him leaning over my shoulder saying GET EM!!! I ended up buying 4k of them. He got some, I kept some, another friend got some, now I have 1k of them loaded into nice once-fired LC cases. I wanted the RMR to approximate them, so I loaded the same charge of CFE223. I will mostly shoot them at 3gun at a local club where there is a 200yd range they typically use every other month, sometimes with some pesky-small plates. Initially I plan to load up at least one mag of SMK in the case that we get there and the 200yd range is setup, since those will be the load the gun is most precisely zeroed for, and load my other mags with the RMRs. If the RMRs do well enough I will probably just save all of the SMKs for a rainy day.

My calculation is that I can load the RMRs in once-fired range brass I bought for about what 55gn steel case ammo currently costs.
    That's exactly why I get them.

Mk262 Mod 1 Clone Load:

Here's my favorite 77gr hand load:

77 gr Berger OTM
    24 gr IMR 8208 XBR
    Length: 2.264-2.265 in
    Primer: CCI #450 (SR Mag) (= CCI#41)
    PMC once fired brass
    Velocity: 2782 fps (18” barrel)

[Use at your own risk. Work up to full charge weight carefully]