Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What red dots do we like for defensive shotguns?

What red dots do we like for defensive shotguns?

My probable next step in setting up some defensive shotguns is to put dots on them. I'm sure shotguns are as hard on optics as handgun slides, probably more so. I've got an M3000 that already has a pic rail and an older 870 I'm going to see about having d&t for a CROM.

Open or closed emitter? The front and back porch are covered so the chances of having to use one outside without overhead cover is small but not zero. Training classes for example.

Tube style (including square like the Acro or Holosun [AEMS?]) or RMR/SRO/EPS style? Or is that pretty eye dependent?

Other than the usual Chinesium airsoft grade fare on Amazon, are there any to avoid because they just can't/don't stand up to 12ga recoil very long?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Tube style (including square like the Acro or Holosun [AEMS?]) or RMR/SRO/EPS style?
    I put an MRO on my 1301 Comp, with a Rusty Nuts mount.

Use it for three gun, but do not have enough rounds through it vouch for longevity.
    I know they do not get much love, but they can be had for about $350 right now.

Aimpoint T1, RMR, and Holosun 507 have all proven to be durable enough for long term shotgun use... 509T should be as well, it's footprint has just limited its use here.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I'm sure shotguns are as hard on optics as handgun slides, probably more so.
    Ya know, I am not so sure, especially if we are talking autoloading shotguns. Maybe full loads out of a pump gun...

The Holosun 507's have come in red or green, come with multiple useful reticle options, and a solid reputation for durability.

The Primary Arms Micro Dot is a simple red dot that also has a solid reputation for durability.

Both come with common footprints, a good selection of quality mounts, and excellent battery life.

Of course Aimpoint is a good choice if you dontt mind the Aimpoint price tag.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Holosun (403 series), Vortex (Sparc) and Primary Arms (SLx Advanced Gen 2) optics comparable to the Aimpoint T1.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Shotgun Red Dot

Aimpoint T-2 is the gold standard, in my opinion.

I just set up an Aimpoint Acro P2 on a 1301 and it has some advantages over the Aimpoint T2 I've used before. First, it cowitnesses with the factory irons, which I prefer over the Crom setup. Second, I can witness mark the mounting cross screw to easily see if it has loosened vs the 4 tiny screws on the T2 which require the entire mount and rear sight assembly to tighten if they loosen. I also find that the size and shape just feel better on top of the 1301 than the T2 did.

It hasn't seen any abuse yet, but as long as it holds up I think this is a better set up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    I just set up an Aimpoint Acro P2 on a 1301 and it has some advantages over the Aimpoint T2 I've used before. First, it cowitnesses with the factory irons, which I prefer over the Crom setup. Second, I can witness mark the mounting cross screw to easily see if it has loosened vs the 4 tiny screws on the T2 which require the entire mount and rear sight assembly to tighten if they loosen. I also find that the size and shape just feel better on top of the 1301 than the T2 did.

It hasn't seen any abuse yet, but as long as it holds up I think this is a better set up for me.
    How did you mount the Acro?

I have or have had ... Aimpoint T1 & Acro P2, Holosun AEMS, C&H Precision Comp, and most recently, a Holosun 407K on my shotguns. Aimpoints have the longest time and highest round counts.

Not sure the shotgun is harder on optics than pistol slides are. Recoil & movement are different;
    I prefer enclosed for all but concealed carry guns;
    Mounting has been to rail sections or direct mount options.

User Tag List