Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offset rifle sight practical range limit?

Offset rifle sight practical range limit?

I see various red dots mounted at 35-45 degree offsets as a backup on rifles a good bit. Those who know: What is the practical accuracy of one of these rigs? Would it be possible to hold to something like 3-6 MOA? Good groups out to 150 meters. Barn doors at 40 paces? You get the drift, thanks for the advice.
    My apologies to weasels.

Where the dot is mounted doesn't change the accuracy potential of the rifle, as far as I'm concerned. Unless the position really compromises the user's ability to stabilize the gun and pull the trigger

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    I see various red dots mounted at 35-45 degree offsets as a backup on rifles a good bit. Those who know: What is the practical accuracy of one of these rigs? Would it be possible to hold to something like 3-6 MOA? Good groups out to 150 meters. Barn doors at 40 paces? You get the drift, thanks for the advice.
    Just as accurate as a 12 o clock mounted optic if zeroed correctly and you maintain that angle when shooting for groups. That's the rub with it thought, you aren't always guaranteed or capable of situating in just the right spot, but for the purpose of an offset back up red dot, they do the job

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Just as accurate as a 12 o clock mounted optic if zeroed correctly and you maintain that angle when shooting for groups. That's the rub with it thought, you aren't always guaranteed or capable of situating in just the right spot, but for the purpose of an offset back up red dot, they do the job
    This holds true with a dot mounted at 12:00 too. Extra tall mounts like the Unity I'm using exacerbate the issue at distance if the gun isn't held level

It may be I'm asking an impossible question. I can't see any reason these shouldn't be as mechanically conducive to accuracy as any other rig. The real question might be "Just how hard is it to utilize?"

How about "What has been peoples personal performance with it?"

I'm sure the answer is related to the work put into it.
    My apologies to weasels.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    It may be I'm asking an impossible question. I can't see any reason these shouldn't be as mechanically conducive to accuracy as any other rig. The real question might be "Just how hard is it to utilize?"

How about "What has been peoples personal performance with it?"

I'm sure the answer is related to the work put into it.
    When I was training with my 16 inch gun, I used my offset dot a lot. The primary optic is an acog, so the red dot was mostly utilized 50 yards and in. I was able to hit strings of all A zones doing bill drills at 50 (going for all high As). So it is certainly capable, zero at 50 and the hold overs are the same for the most part as when you zero 12 o'clock. I enjoy shooting the offset on the move, the cant in really locks the gun in. If you focused on just shooting canted for awhile you probably be able to shoot it as good or close as a traditional arrangement. But why do that? Where an offset shines is 50 yards and in, it really is just as fast as a rds only gun if you train it. Then you have the benefit of acog glass for anything 100 and out.

My experience with the 12:00 mount offset is it is plenty usable out to 300 yards. If I've dialed elevation for 600 yards or more and I'm at max mag it's faster to use a red dot on a silhouette at 200

I used a triangle reticle DPP offset so I know what angle to cant at.

The triangle reticle is a really interesting idea.
    My apologies to weasels.

A friend of mine likes the Romeo 4 series of red dots with the BDC holds for the same reason: visual indicator of cant, especially when shooting through ports.

User Tag List