Thread: Cassette Toilet RFI

Cassette Toilet RFI

I am researching cassette toilets to determine if it may be a viable option for me to install in a garage/workshop.

Any experience, information, comments, opinions are greatly appreciated.

I am only familiar with them as they relate to RVs. I'd never considered putting one in a fixed structure.

That said, they can smell. By the time you go, and then go dump it, you might as well have just gone inside to drop the deuce to begin with.

I plan to put one of these in my next RV/adventure fan. seals it up like a diaper genie and (allegedly) can sit for a lot longer sealed up without the stink.
    https://dry-flush.com/
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Had one in my last camper, it had a 7 gallon reservoir it used water to flush. You don't want to empty at full, its messy, so about 5 gallons was where I was dumping. It doesn't take long to hit that either. Boondocking by myself for a week, I ended up dumping about three times. If I had to go back to a cassette toilet, I would try to find a dry flush or the diaper genie mentioned above. Unless your shop is a mile from the house, I think I would just walk the walk. Leave on the first urge, don't wait.

My cousin has a composting toilet in his RV. High up front cost but he thinks it is way better than a cassette. I'll try to find out the brand he uses.

I should have been more specific. The toilet will only be used occasionally. Mostly for NUMBER 1.

The person using it is not able to walk to use an alternate toilet on a regular basis.

Dryflush, composting, diaper Genie are option I am looking at as well. The major potential issue seems to be stink if not vented properly, but there looks to be ways to do that.

Thanks for the replies, keep the info coming.

I’m a fan of the double ziploc dry powder camping sacs.

They don’t smell much and easy to clean up.

Lighter than having a water based reservoir.

Less “refined” than a cassette but less of a PITA for me.

Site Supporter
    Not really relevant, but this memory always surfaces when such things are discussed...

Years ago when our "deer camp" was larger and we had upwards of 10, sometimes more, people there at any one time, we had a cassette toilet for community use. We took turns emptying it in a hole in the woods far from camp. One day, when someone was emptying it, we heard a cry from the forest, "OMG! Who ate corn!?!?". Dunno why, but that sent us into hysterics.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    The toilet will only be used occasionally. Mostly for NUMBER 1.
    The person using it is not able to walk to use an alternate toilet on a regular basis.
    Male or female?
    How legal does it need to be?
    I have often wondered about just putting a urinal on the wall of a shop or garage. You could probably just plumb it into a buried tile, maybe joined into a downspout so rainwater perpetually flushes things.
    I was thinking about keeping the heat in a garage instead of walking behind it to wiz all the time.

User Tag List