Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Chronograph from Garmin

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Don’t tease me.

And a ballistics app and shot group analyzer. Furthermore, all of these devices will be controlled with the smartwatch and integrated with each other!

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    I purchased the external battery pack myself. I've been using it and still having troubles. Just a few weeks ago the chronograph was refusing to arm with an error message of low battery. The external battery showed 85% charge still remaining. I then had it happen even with the external battery showing 95% charge still remaining.
    I’ve had some issues with external battery packs being finicky sometimes too.

One time I had to drive to the nearest gas station to buy AA batteries to run the damn thing.

A buddy borrowed someone else’s and asked for help at the range… you guessed it… dead batteries.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Shouldn't have watched that video. Now I want one too.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    Does anyone feel like it is a huge vibe shift for Garmin of all companies to get into the weeds with this nerdy shooting sports equipment?
    I noticed that too. However, their normal field GPS devices have some hunting/fishing related features, so it's not entirely out of left field.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I noticed that too. However, their normal field GPS devices have some hunting/fishing related features, so it's not entirely out of left field.

Chris
    Between their tactical watches with Applied Ballistics and their bow hunting sight, I think Garmin caters to shooters and hunters.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/613654
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

You mentioned Applied Ballistics on a watch. I had to look it up.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/802901

Recently escaped the People's Republic of Portland
    Garmin in hand, will hit the range tomorrow to begin testing...

Recently escaped the People's Republic of Portland
    First wave of testing in the books. I was able to get out to the range on three separate days in a range of conditions. From near freezing temps, to approx 60 degrees, VERY windy conditions on two of three days and nearly zero wind on the third.

Rifles used were a 14.5" BCM w/Omega suppressor shooting both 55gr FMJ reloads and 77gr SMK M262 hand loads; 12.5" Triarc SBR w/RC2 can with the same rounds; 300PRC out of a proof pre-fit carbon barrel w/Harvester can, 6.5CR w/muzzle brake with 143gr hand loads.

Overall the data the Garmin was gathering was consistent both to itself and comparing to a magnetospeed on the same shots for each trip. The Garmin was consistently showing 2 FPS lower than the magnetospeed on nearly all shots (or the Magnetospeed is 2 FPS faster????). Largest difference I noted was 2.2 FPS and smallest was 1.9 FPS. I mixed up the charge weights in some loads to see how/if both units captured the velocity change and both picked up the differences consistently.

Overall I am extremely impressed with the Garmin, long term usage will tell if it is durable but so far the outlook is VERY promising. The setup is nearly effortless, syncing with the mobile device is slick and easy. I won't be selling the magnetospeed yet as it will be my backup unit but I doubt I will ever touch it again assuming the Garmin continues to work.

For you bow shooters out there, I also tested with three different bows and got positive results. Phase4 29 @78lbs 27.5" Draw; V3X @70lbs 27.5" draw and Hoyt Ventum 30 @ 68lbs 27.5" draw. Arrow weights from 374, 422, 453 & 474 The device was able to pickup the FPS differences between a few arrows with some slight weight differences out of all my bows. Appears to be equally as accurate as it was with various rifle cartridges and charge weights.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdub_NW View Post
    Overall I am extremely impressed with the Garmin, long term usage will tell if it is durable but so far the outlook is VERY promising. The setup is nearly effortless, syncing with the mobile device is slick and easy. I won't be selling the magnetospeed yet as it will be my backup unit but I doubt I will ever touch it again assuming the Garmin continues to work.
    Thanks for the review, that sounds very promising.

User Tag List