Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: New Chronograph from Garmin

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Given Garmin's reputation, and my experience with the new Garmin chronograph, this product needs to be significantly less expensive or better to even be considered.
    On Wednesday I ran my Garmin next to my 375 Cheytac checking velocities on a new barrel, moved it to an ARCA mount on my PRS gun and shot a practice stage for awhile, then walked over to a friend and set it next to their gun to help them out.

It’s never missed a shot, not one, and super easy to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Given Garmin's reputation, and my experience with the new Garmin chronograph, this product needs to be significantly less expensive or better to even be considered.
    Same price as the Garmin, appears to be ~250% bigger in volume, appears to have a peepsight indicating a narrower alignment may be needed. Very possibly too little, too late.

The literal pocket size of the Garmin, the reliability, false shot rejection yet relatively huge placement window, non-interference when multiple units are on the same line, and the fact that it’s supported by one of the most competent companies in consumer electronics makes the Labradar effort hard to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Same price as the Garmin, appears to be ~250% bigger in volume, appears to have a peepsight indicating a narrower alignment may be needed. Very possibly too little, too late.

The literal pocket size of the Garmin, the reliability, false shot rejection yet relatively huge placement window, non-interference when multiple units are on the same line, and the fact that it’s supported by one of the most competent companies in consumer electronics makes the Labradar effort hard to swallow.
    You'd think the Labradar would have been a bit lower price point. You have to hand it to Labradar though, had they not proved that people would pay $600+ for a chrono that is less of a PITA to use, we wouldn't have the Garmin either.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    You'd think the Labradar would have been a bit lower price point. You have to hand it to Labradar though, had they not proved that people would pay $600+ for a chrono that is less of a PITA to use, we wouldn't have the Garmin either.
    Good point. They did prove there is a market for this kind of a thing. Of course not that surprising given the sudden uptick of popularity of things like long range shooting and such.

But yeah, in order to beat the garmin, they're going to have to do something better than it: cheaper price, smaller form factor, some form of better measurement, etc. Doesn't seem like they've done that.

My Garmin had been backordered since mid-December, but finally came in last week. I took it to the range for the first time today. It is indeed awesome.

After years of being careful not to accidentally shoot my old Caldwell, I'm tempted to take it to the range next week and shoot it to pieces just for fun.

Has anyone noticed variation in velocity reading depending on shooting angle from the Garmin? In other words, if you set uptje Garmin and shoot a target at exactly 12:00, and then one at like 12:30, do you notice a repeatable difference in velocity?

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar

In stock!

Add me Richard as the Sales Rep and get P-F pricing https://cstactical.com/garmin-xero-c1-pro-chronograph/
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Just got my new Garmin (yes, late to the show). Made a quick shakedown trip to the local indoor range. Figured it would be somewhat of a tough test, as the shooting positions are reasonably close, and are separated by netting rather than hard walls. A loud range.

Took along my .22LR and my 6.5 Creedmoor. Started with the .22 and, per directions, placed the unit 5-15 inches behind the muzzle and that same distance from the side of the rifle. Had shooters on either side with centerfire bolt guns, i.e., loud. Ran a 10-round mag through the gun, and the Garmin never missed a shot, nor added one when either of the neighbors' guns fired.

Decided to really challenge the Xero, so screwed my suppressor onto the .22. Still never missed a shot, or added a stray. As somewhat of an indication of how quiet the suppressed .22 was, the RSO told me as I was packing up that he heard some "splats" as I was shooting (and in between the other shooters), anf finally figured out they were the .22s hitting the paper target and cardboard backing. I'm not altogether sure I believe that (my hearing is not good), but have know the guy a good while and he's always been totally honest.

The tightest 10-shot group, numbers wise, was with Lapua Extra Long Range, with an average velocity of 1089fps, and a standard deviation of 3.0fps (a range of 1084.8 - 1094.6 fps). Pretty scary consistent.

For grins, I ran three rounds of Hornady 140 gr ELD-M through the 6.5CM. Average velocity was 2530fps in a 21-inch barrel. Anti-climactic at that point.

Bottom line, and I'm far from a chrono guru, this is an amazing little unit. Tiny, well-designed, simple to understand and use (even by old fart standards). No wires, no connections. Just set it beside rifle, turn it on, and have at it. Next outing will be to pistol range and we'll see how it does surrounded by a near-dozen shooters with everything from .22s to various hand cannons, firing at a much more frenetic pace.

Extremely happy so far.

Just got mine in, paired and charging. I've read the instructions and got a question. I do/did my pistol testing standing, how high over this thig can you be? If I set it on a 5 gallon bucket will that be high enough or do I need to find something else?

I'm happy to see air gun listed in the list on start up. I guess shotgun will be "other". I'm gonna be busy with this thing for a while playing catch up. Since I shot my Crono a while back, I've loaded several different loads and just relied on book velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    Just got mine in, paired and charging. I've read the instructions and got a question. I do/did my pistol testing standing, how high over this thig can you be? If I set it on a 5 gallon bucket will that be high enough or do I need to find something else?
    I just use a cheap tripod from Amazon when shooting handguns. I haven't tried anything else. I use the short tripod that was included when shooting rifles from the bench.

User Tag List