Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: New Chronograph from Garmin

Thanks.
    1. I will try to open the range with them and get my chronographing done before they fill up. Failing that, I can do my shooting while the next guy over is reloading or showing his girlfriend how to operate the gun.

2. I will look up how to bypass some of the startup clicks and default to Pistol, Lower velocity range, and don't remind me how to hold the gun.

I doubt I will get back today, I need to adjust a couple of loads and get ready for FOOTBALL.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I got the gun position prompt turned off and found where to manage the bullet weight prompt.
    I was the first shooter at the range today and was not subject to crosstalk from the next lane.
    I lost one shot by double tapping.

I found that my old iPhone 6 would run the app, but the Xero would not talk to iPad and iPhone at the same time, I had to turn one off to get the other to read. Legibility on the phone is better than I expected, I won't have to hump the iPad to the range.

I changed from energy to power factor but am not seeing power factor for the average velocity, just the individual shots. Have I missed another setting?

Ballistics were interesting. Last trip I was shooting a SA Loaded 9mm. Today a Glock 34. The only load I shot in both guns, a reload with 115 gr plated bullet, was substantially faster in the Glock, by about 70 fps. I will cut that load, it is only shot in the Glock and I do not need f 140 when f 130 is plenty of margin for Minor. Seems there really is a difference in the Glock barrel. I will try some other loads, I do not have notes on one with that much difference.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

If my experience is anything to go by, you’re going to find yourself evaluating loads and gun differences a lot more- the ease and convenience of the device is such a Great Leap Forward compared to anything else I’ve ever worked with - grabbing data is practically effortless.

First two times out with my Garmin were at the rifle range, where we have lots of room and tend to be spread well apart. Tonight was the first try at a more crowded pistol range. My experience was as reported by others above: It picked up all of my shots, none of anyone elses although it did seem to pick up and then discard a few from others. It wasn't packed tonight, the booths immediately on either side of me were empty so it was about six or seven feet between shooters with just one sheet of plywood between us.

I intentionally tested at shorter distance (12.5 yard) targets tonight and it worked fine, velocities in line with those at 25 yards last weekend with one similar load shot in both places.

Lots of curiosity from other shooters, lots of questions.

Man, I really need to start stacking pennies for one of these. Or win the lottery. I hope over time the price point edges down just a little, but it sure sounds like they are worth it.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Man, I really need to start stacking pennies for one of these. Or win the lottery. I hope over time the price point edges down just a little, but it sure sounds like they are worth it.
    The one thing that really shocked me was the size of the Garmin. It literally is the size of a small battery alarm clock.

I picked up a rail mount and sunshade off eBay. 3D printed, but I’m just very happy with more options. Also got a hard case off there.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Saw that on a YouTube SHOT Show review.

Difficult to tell from the video but it might be significantly larger than the Garmin.

Not sure either what it offers over the Garmin. Especially since the Garmin is already out and shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Saw that on a YouTube SHOT Show review.

Difficult to tell from the video but it might be significantly larger than the Garmin.

Not sure either what it offers over the Garmin. Especially since the Garmin is already out and shipping.
    The original lab radar offered some data over the Garmin, but the Garmin is easy mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    The original lab radar offered some data over the Garmin, but the Garmin is easy mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Given Garmin's reputation, and my experience with the new Garmin chronograph, this product needs to be significantly less expensive or better to even be considered.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List