Thread: 9mm Powder funnel question

9mm Powder funnel question

I have a Dillon 550C with the standard powder die setup. Using brass other than Federal, Speer and Winchester, I'm having cases that really need some force on the upstroke and the resistance is coming from the powder funnel flaring the brass. I have a bunch of Geco and S&B brass I need to sort through in order to have a quick and smooth reloading session.

Is there anything I can get to help with this? I've been looking at the DAA bulletfeeder powder funnel as an alternative option.

Site Supporter
    I've only had that problem when using new Starline .41 Magnum brass. Any other brand fired brass doesn't cause that, including Geco and S&B.

How clean do you get your brass when you clean it? I'm using an old Midway vibratory tumbler and Lyman media and run a load for about an hour. The outside of the cases is shiny and squeaky clean but there's still a smidge of powder/bullet residue on the inside, and that acts as a dry lube for the expander. At least, that's my theory.

I wish someone made a copy of the Lyman M expander for the Dillon. It'd make placing flat-base bullets in the expanded brass so much easier.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Lots of discussion about this with wet tumbled cases in the wet tumbling thread.
    I transitioned to the Armanov funnel, and it helps (IMO). Now I am also using the RL1100 and I believe the swage station starts a bit of flare, and the powder funnel extraction is not such an issue anymore.
    I have also been using the Lee undersize die, and I am reluctant to move away from it, and now just the sizing force is starting to cause me some concern. My shoulders are feeling fine, but now my wrist is pestering me a bit, so I may go back to using some dry media (with Nufinish) as a friction reducing step.

But yours is a common complaint with really clean brass.

I wish someone made a copy of the Lyman M expander for the Dillon. It'd make placing flat-base bullets in the expanded brass so much easier.
    Me, too. I tried the DAA/MR and it did not have enough step.
    I can't find any dimensions on the HTC sold by Uniquetek.
    Didn't know about the Armanov.

Right now I have the flare about right for an easy start. I am not worried about 9mm brass life, I flare it GOOD.

But I do have some sticking.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I cleaned all of my brass with citric acid when I wet tumbled it. The insides aren't squeaky clean but this is probably the issue. Ordered some imperial sizing wax to dab on the funnel and if that doesn't work, I'll give either the DAA or SII funnel a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    I cleaned all of my brass with citric acid when I wet tumbled it. The insides aren't squeaky clean but this is probably the issue. Ordered some imperial sizing wax to dab on the funnel and if that doesn't work, I'll give either the DAA or SII funnel a try.
    Hornady One Shot spray is easy to spray on pistol cases. Put them in a pile and give a quick spray in a circular pattern, toss the brass and repeat a few times.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    I have a Dillon 550C with the standard powder die setup. Using brass other than Federal, Speer and Winchester, I'm having cases that really need some force on the upstroke and the resistance is coming from the powder funnel flaring the brass. I have a bunch of Geco and S&B brass I need to sort through in order to have a quick and smooth reloading session.

Is there anything I can get to help with this? I've been looking at the DAA bulletfeeder powder funnel as an alternative option.
    Purchase a tub of Hornady "Unique" case lube. It will not contaminate powder or primers. The tub will last you for several lifetimes for the purpose I am suggesting.

At every loading session, remove the top from the lube tub and set it within reach of your left hand (assuming you are right handed and operating the reloading press with that hand).

Before you run the first case through the loader, LIGHTLY tap the top of the open lune with your middle finger, picking up a VERY SMALL, TINY amount of lube on your finger tip. Swirl your middle finger tip against your thumb tip, distributing a VERY, VERY SMALL coating of lube on them.

Reach up and lightly swirl that coating of lube off your finger and thumb tip around the belling tube of the powder measure. Begin loading ammo. Repeat every 10-12 rounds depending on resistance felt when you pull the operating handle of the reloading press.

It takes about 20 times longer to describe this operation than it does to actually perform it.

I've had great success with this for many, many years while using Dillon reloading presses.

User Tag List