Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: S&W Response - 9mm PCC w/ Interchangeable Magwell

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’d want to get it down to the size of my Colt/Uzi pattern SBR:

Attachment 110593
    That's pretty cool- what did you do?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    That's pretty cool- what did you do?
    Parts built as a braced pistol years ago, amnestied into an SBR. From memory a QC10 lower, Vltor upper, BA barrel, Midwest (?) handguard and UCIW stock.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

You guys know that I cannot pass a gun like that without attaching a Scorpion magazine to it. With that in mind, neither of my LGS allowed me to take a good look inside the Response, so I had to refer to Sootch's video (much thanks to Sootch - so many forum dwellers love to crap on him for not being harsh enough in his reviews, but his material is almost unque in its detail). The bolt stop mechanism is gloriously over-complicated, almost Germanic in design. I'm frankly surprised that it works at all. Fortunately, a user can easily replace parts. The undercut in the bolt is also wide enough for a dual feed magazine. So overall I don't see any showstoppers. Ruger PCC is definitely a no-go, Homesteader may need trickery, but Response is basically ready.

Beretta 92, P320, or CZ-75 should be a trivial matter for someone interested. The real test is going to be the overall popularity of Response.
    Last edited by zaitcev; 11-02-2023 at 12:49 PM.

I am overall pretty ignorant on PPC guns.

But my shooting buddy, mostly retired as am I, works in a local gunstore/indoor range.

He picked up an FPC a couple of months ago and just picked up a Response last week.

We shot them a bit at the outdoor range last Wednesday. His are set up for M&P mags fwiw.

It was nice to do a side by side comparison with them. We both agreed the Response is much smoother running and softer recoiling than the FPC. The balance is definitely better with the Response.

Granted I only fired a few mags through each (I'll pester him to bring it again when we shoot tomorrow) but I will seriously consider picking up one of the Response. I have a metric buttload of Glock mags so I'll go with that option.

Since S&W is now in Maryville (only 30 minutes from my door), I may wait for any bugs to get worked out and hope for a Made in Tennessee stamped one.
    Gotta save my pennies up anyway.

Site Supporter
    Just in case anyone has one of these:

DESCRIPTION OF HAZARD:

Smith & Wesson has identified a condition where, if the bolt were to fail to fully close, and the trigger is pulled, an out of battery discharge may occur. An out of battery discharge could potentially rupture an unsupported case, venting gas through the magazine well and upper receiver, and possibly fracturing a portion of the receiver.
    We ask that you stop using your rifle immediately until it has been inspected and repaired as necessary.

DESCRIPTION OF THE PRODUCT INVOLVED:

Although we have only observed this condition in a very small number of products, out of an abundance of caution, we are asking consumers of all affected S&W Response Rifles manufactured before February 12, 2024 to return their rifle to S&W for inspection and repair for this condition.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/safety/...r-safety-alert

Good on Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    Good on Smith.
    Indeed.

Also, I thought that the OOB with Mrgunsngear gun was related to the inherent hazard in all blowback AR9s that use a one piece bolt. None of them have an intrinsic OOB safety, no matter how reputable the manufacturer is. There's no pin withdrawal mechanism like on two-piece bolts. ATF bans the disconnectors that full-auto guns use. And the distance between the bottom of the bolt and the firing pin is insufficient for a flat-faced hammer to work as a safety. But S&W behave as if the Response does have a safety feature, which only needs to be repaired. I'm extremely curious how they accomplish it.

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    Indeed.

Also, I thought that the OOB with Mrgunsngear gun was related to the inherent hazard in all blowback AR9s that use a one piece bolt. None of them have an intrinsic OOB safety, no matter how reputable the manufacturer is. There's no pin withdrawal mechanism like on two-piece bolts. ATF bans the disconnectors that full-auto guns use. And the distance between the bottom of the bolt and the firing pin is insufficient for a flat-faced hammer to work as a safety. But S&W behave as if the Response does have a safety feature, which only needs to be repaired. I'm extremely curious how they accomplish it.
    Just the other day Rob from In Lead We Trust mentioned something similar about the Scorpion, how BATFE required the removal of parts that made the gun less likely to OOB. Gotta love the Feds.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Thanks for the heads up @idahojess!

I texted the link to my bud that has one.

Good on Smith.

Yeah, I can't think of anything the Feds have done to help recently either...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Just the other day Rob from In Lead We Trust mentioned something similar about the Scorpion, how BATFE required the removal of parts that made the gun less likely to OOB. Gotta love the Feds.
    The hazard of pulling disconnectors out of converted machine guns is real and unfortunately CZ Scorpion is one of victims. Fortunately, not all of them are like that, and removing the auto sear from AR-15 does not make it unsafe.

A gun with one-piece bolt can be made safe in an (B)ATF(E) compliant way by using something like Glock safety button that we all know and love. But I examined S&W bolt and it does not have a mechanism like that. I think they must be relying on the vertical section at the rear of the front half, where the hammer lands. I wish someone talked to one of their engineers at SHOT and asked. I'm sure it's not a secret.

User Tag List