Thread: NRA Defensive Pistol and NRA CCW?

NRA Defensive Pistol and NRA CCW?

Lots of questions gang! What are your opinions of these two NRA offerings? Asking, because they seem like low hanging fruit. I am sure it is very dependent upon the instructor.

Appreciate any perspective and insight. I will add years ago, I took an NRA personal protection and Claude Werner was the assistant instructor!

Thanks!

I became an NRA PPITH, PPOTH, and Defensive Pistol instructor last spring, after having taken all three courses three years ago. However, I have not, yet, taught any of them.
    Since you took PPITH you have the basics of Defensive Pistol, but you would enjoy taking the course, as it gets you into holster draw work. If you take PPOTH and Def Pistol together, you will get a few more holster draw drills to work on, making a fun day or two of training.

As for NRA CCW, it is a totally different animal. It is the only NRA pistol course that lets the instructor select from multiple modules in order to meet their state's CCW license or permit class requirements. Depending on your state, that means the NRA CCW class could be a half day to two full days (the latter if the instructor uses every available module). If you see an NRA CCW course near you, call and ask which modules the instructor will include. Since Arkansas has a very specific required syllabus for our CHCL class, I decided not to bother adding NRA CCW to my kit. I saw no benefit in adding teh NRA moniker to an already State Police approved CHCL class.
    Craig
    VCDL, ACLDN, SAF (Life), GOA, NRA (Benefactor Life), USAF Retired
    https://tinyurl.com/craig-trains

Appreciate the insight Craig.

User Tag List