Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting USPSA CO and seeking advice

I recommend the 47 or 17. Either will take you as far as you ever want to go in the sport.

I like the DAA XiP pouches because you can adjust them around a wider axis. I like to angle mine out away from the belt about 30 degrees to help match the angle my hand grabs them.

I prefer bladetech over comptac, but it's been years since I had a comptac.

All my Glocks have for triggers are minus connectors, pure tungsten guide rods, and brass grip plugs that I helped design from CH precision. For a trigger I'm using a minus connector, a 5# striker spring, lighter plunger spring, and extra power return spring. The performance trigger is good though and would work fine.

On a budget, id go with a ch precision comp optic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Why not just buy a different top end for the gun you have and take the mag well off?

Save yourself some $$ and use it to buy an SRO instead of the 507 comp🤷🏼*♂️?
    What do you like better about the SRO?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What do you like better about the SRO?
    That should have said “instead of the CH comp”. Was a long day yesterday.

The 507 Comp is well liked by the guys I know who are running them. Only complaint is the dot size.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    That should have said “instead of the CH comp”. Was a long day yesterday.

The 507 Comp is well liked by the guys I know who are running them. Only complaint is the dot size.
    If they made a 507 Comp in a 5-6 MOA I'd be all in on it.

I have four of the 507 Comps and still prefer the SRO because of the reticle. I have no doubt that eventually Holosun will make a 507 Comp with a 5-6 MOA dot.

8 MOA is too large for my taste on far, small poppers.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    If they made a 507 Comp in a 5-6 MOA I'd be all in on it.

I have four of the 507 Comps and still prefer the SRO because of the reticle. I have no doubt that eventually Holosun will make a 507 Comp with a 5-6 MOA dot.

8 MOA is too large for my taste on far, small poppers.
    I need to try a 5-6 MOA dot. I greatly prefer the 8MOA circle of my 407CO, over the 3MOA dots I've tried, but have yet to use a 5-6MOA dot. I doubt the 4MOA RXM-300 will be big enough, and I'm not willing to spend the $$$ for an SRO. "1st world problems."

Crappy video because lightning conditions and insta go3. Not a bad day to test the optic, especially on white steel in a bright light. This was my first practice with a 507 Comp just last Monday. I had it on 8 min horseshoe with a small central dot on. Targets are two US mini poppers at about 20-22 yards. I like the optic so far. My draw needs work.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post

Crappy video because lightning conditions and insta go3. Not a bad day to test the optic, especially on white steel in a bright light. This was my first practice with a 507 Comp just last Monday. I had it on 8 min horseshoe with a small central dot on. Targets are two US mini poppers at about 20-22 yards. I like the optic so far. My draw needs work.
    I think standing dead still with no movement, 8MOA still is within the borders of the targets.

Shooting at 6 inch plate at 25 yards = 24 MOA.

Aiming at the central 4 inches to give some margin of target visual around the dot = 16 MOA with 4 MOA border.

Now add the wobble of entry, motion or wide transition and it eats up the available target visual border around the 8MOA.

If you were trying to hit the center 1/3 of the popper then you’re talking about the entire 8MOA and having to be dead still.

I personally have a harder time calling good shots and being precise when the reticle blots out the scoring borders.

You could run the experiment with a B8 black at 25 yards. It’s 5.5 inches so similar to a small popper. See if there’s any difference in 10 shot score using 8MOA circle dot versus 2MOA.

You might not notice much objective difference. I’m not sure how much it matters. But I know in the past with the larger DPP triangle I ran into issues with having to over confirm slivers of borders instead of floating confidently inside the scoring margins. YMMV.

Everything is a compromise. I have more issues with insufficient visual feedback on big close targets where the dot disappears within target's mass while I'm trying to shoot them fast and on the move. Large dot superimposing on a smaller target shot at a distance requiring stable platform has not been an issue so far. Before 507Comp I was using 8 MOA Alpha FTP. It is a crappy dot in its own rights but I've not had issues with the size.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List