Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any hydro dippers around here?

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    It might be cool on top of the common bedliner coating, the paint or ink would probably stick to the bedliner pretty well. No experience, just guessing, but now you are making me want to buy another DR650...
    That reminds me. My guy painted an undercoat on the parts too before dipping.

This seems like a pretty good demo of the whole process:

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    This seems like a pretty good demo of the whole process:
    Good demo of transferring a printed pattern, it could be anything, even a photo.
    Here is an example of the redneck backyard rattle can approach.
    I am thinking this with black and grey and maybe some white for just breaking up the pattern of paint into something like a bolt gun stock, like I just happen to have two of, the Stockade Savage stocks that I bought in their unfinished Money Saver option, just with the flash ground off, otherwise just how they came out of the mold:

I am also thinking about doing some bedliner for grip enhancement, you could hit it first with Scotchbrite if it was too rough, probably mask it off where your face will ride (or add on a cheek piece). Seems like this would also work on that third DR650 I just know I am eventually gonna buy...

ETA: If you don't like the result you can just let it dry and then try again.

This might be another option: Gunskins

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

This might be another option: Gunskins
    I worked for my wife at her wide format printing shop for about seven years, and I have a couple thoughts...
    Some of that media is fantastic, but I dunno about that shit... Specifically I do not think the muzzle would hold up.
    Here is a simple roll of printed media. The two key things you are looking for is media that is "cast", this is how the vinyl is created and makes it possible to conform to contoured shapes without tearing, and "air release", that is what lets you press it into place without trapping (so many...) bubbles.

The two key things you are looking for is media that is "cast", this is how the vinyl is created and makes it possible to conform to contoured shapes without tearing, and "air release", that is what lets you press it into place without trapping (so many...) bubbles.
    Will/Should that information be in the product description? Are there magic words I’m looking for in that Amazon description?

Will/Should that information be in the product description? Are there magic words I’m looking for in that Amazon description?
    The magic words are Cast and Air Release....
    Check out the additional images in the linked product description and both were mentioned in the graphic.
    Also, 3M is kinda the gold standard. Buying the kit you linked just gives you some precut templates that are shaped like parts of the gun, not really worth the extra $50.

ETA: After you do a couple of guns you could do your car, it is the same stuff.

The magic words are Cast and Air Release....
    Check out the additional images in the linked product description and both were mentioned in the graphic.
    Also, 3M is kinda the gold standard. Buying the kit you linked just gives you some precut templates that are shaped like parts of the gun, not really worth the extra $50.

ETA: After you do a couple of guns you could do your car, it is the same stuff.
    Thanks, I should have said “any other magic words”!🤣

I kind of figured the higher price was for the convenience factor.

Thanks, I should have said “any other magic words”!🤣
    I wasn't trying to be a dick, well maybe a little....

Watch some YT stuff maybe, the material is kinda amazing, but can just be tedious. We never did cars, I went to a class as part of an assessment to consider if we wanted to. We really didn't have a space to do it, so we were pretty sure we were not going to get into it, but I went to the class to validate it, mainly to be able to speak more from a position of authority when our business partner who would have never done any of the hands on work would think it was a good idea. After doing one car with a crew of people, in a climate controlled carpeted conference room (only to then peel it all off the rental car after the pictures...) I could know it was neat when it was finished, but a lot of tedious work that I sure wouldn't want to do laying on concrete. The heat gun would make it conform, but it is also amazing how much it will make it recover to an unstretched state. (ETA: A simple propane torch also works, just hold it 12"-18" away, I would use my hand as the thermocouple to know when it is too hot) The first thing one of the instructors did was put a scrap over an open car window, heat it up and stretch it all distorted pushing in with his fist, let it cool and then work it with the heat gun until it went flat again. The calendered media (the stuff that is not cast) will flatten out again, the cast media will tolerate being stretched enough to stay stuck. Just avoid sharp pointed corners, that is what peels.

I kind of figured the higher price was for the convenience factor.
    But I do not think it will be all that convenient, maybe a little. But if you screw up a piece cut for the stock you are out the $70, instead of just peeling another piece off the $29 roll.

Turns out Mossy Oak has their own kit as well

User Tag List