Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any hydro dippers around here?

Any hydro dippers around here?

Thinking of having some future long guns hydro dipped instead of camo painted and the way my brain works it immediately tells me “You can do that in the garage!”. So I have to research the possibility myself and decide if it’s worth my time, treasure and effort.

I see kits in the $70 range. Are they worth a hoot or typical entry level crap aimed at the cheap asses frugal types like myself?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Have never done it, but have contemplated it, but only because my wife would have the equipment to do the printing.
    If you were trying to do an image, it seems like a PITA, if you just want a pattern it seems like it could be fun.
    I watched one YT video where the guy just sprayed rattle cans on the surface of the water, then swirled the colors, then dipped. That seemed like a manageable experiment...

I was looking for a local hydrodipper to dip the various fairings/covers on my KLR650, but he is apparently no longer in business.

Is the result durable enough to use on a motorcycle that gets whacked by light brush/weeds/grass?
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I was looking for a local hydrodipper to dip the various fairings/covers on my KLR650, but he is apparently no longer in business.

Is the result durable enough to use on a motorcycle that gets whacked by light brush/weeds/grass?
    I don't know. In fact I really don't know how durable it is at all. I don't know if the processes and films the major manufacturers use for their Mossy Oak editions, etc are the same as what a small time applicator/DIY enthusiast has access to.

I know the durability of the various paint finishes are dependent on the skill and attention to detail of the applicator but AFAIK the Cerakote, etc we can buy is the same as what the pros use.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I don't know. In fact I really don't know how durable it is at all. I don't know if the processes and films the major manufacturers use for their Mossy Oak editions, etc are the same as what a small time applicator/DIY enthusiast has access to.

I know the durability of the various paint finishes are dependent on the skill and attention to detail of the applicator but AFAIK the Cerakote, etc we can buy is the same as what the pros use.
    It’s not a good finish. If you have built model plains of cars with bullshit. Hydro dipped just means that. Dipped in water. It looks nice. Doesn’t wear nice.

It is just a way to transfer ink or paint to a contour surface, and I would expect no more durable than either of those.

I don’t know anyone doing it today but it’s more durable than I expected. I had a rifle done in 2010 or 2011, before Cerakoting was a thing in the firearms world. I had a thread on M4C that documented the wear and tear but the pics were on Photobucket before they got greedy. I refused to pay their ransom. I don’t think I have them hosted anywhere now.

Also it’s more than a model airplane decal. The key is the topcoat that is sprayed afterward. Same stuff used on hunting rifles and bows for years. That said if I wanted another multicam finished rifle I’d probably go with Cerakote today.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    The key is the topcoat that is sprayed afterward.
    I forgot about that...
    It looks like fun, something I might be inclined to fiddle around with, just to get some kind of paint swirl breakup pattern onto a rifle stock. Maybe someday after all of my other gun and house and boat and car and motorcycle projects are under control...

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Maybe someday after all of my other gun and house and boat and car and motorcycle projects are under control...
    Name:  thumbnail_IMG_1709.jpeg
Views: 144
Size:  69.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post

It might be cool on top of the common bedliner coating, the paint or ink would probably stick to the bedliner pretty well. No experience, just guessing, but now you are making me want to buy another DR650...

User Tag List