Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ammo Panic / Stupidity 2023

Thanks to copious amounts of recent overtime, I have been preparing and budgeting for a couple months to make a significant ammo purchase. 9mm range ammo has been relatively plentiful and reasonably priced lately so it seemed like a good time. It was one if those things that after deciding what I was going to order ($240/case) I just decided I'd wait and order it the next morning. Mistake! The following morning I saw SG Ammo's email about a huge increase in orders and then found what I'd been anticipating to purchase increased in price ($260/case), overnight. If I had just ordered sooner I would've been able to buy an extra 1k rounds with the price increase and sales tax difference.

I have several buckets of wheel weights, enough jacketed rifle bullets to get by and I think Im OK on primers and powder for now.

If I go through all that I think Ive got some extra flints for the Scottish pistol.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I have several buckets of wheel weights, enough jacketed rifle bullets to get by and I think Im OK on primers and powder for now.

If I go through all that I think Ive got some extra flints for the Scottish pistol.
    Does anyone make a reasonably priced blunderbuss these days?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    This seems to be more of a blip and less of full on panic buying.
    It's just the tip of the ammo panic penis. We're going to transition from "Hamas is coming! Hamas is coming!" straight into "WW3DemocratsBidenElection" panic.

Whether it's toilet paper or ammo, I'm getting really sick of idiots in panic stricken America.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I still haven’t dipped into my pre-COVID stash of gaming ammo when Syntech was $11 a box.
    I still have a couple bricks of pre-Y2K Thunderbolts and Wildcats from when it was $9 a brick.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I still have a couple bricks of pre-Y2K Thunderbolts and Wildcats from when it was $9 a brick.
    Me too. I also have a bunch of $15/brick stuff from right before 22lr went nuts. The local Walmart mistakenly bought a pallet instead of a few cases and were selling it cheap when everyone else wanted $30+. At one point I had something like 15k rounds. I'm down to about 10k now. I bought most of it when I thought my kids would be burning through it like crazy, but neither are particularly interested in guns, so it's up to me to use it up.

I have 3 22lr handguns but don't shoot them nearly enough.

Chris

I regrettably contributed to this last night. I had been meaning to buy more for a few weeks and just kept putting it off, of course right into the panic when prices started going back up. I am envious of people being able to stash lots of ammo, its just not feasible for me.

I guess now would be a good time to grab primers

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I regrettably contributed to this last night. I had been meaning to buy more for a few weeks and just kept putting it off, of course right into the panic when prices started going back up. I am envious of people being able to stash lots of ammo, its just not feasible for me.
    Me too. Been looking for a case of 10mm and just waiting for the best deal. Doesn’t look like a good deal is going to be had for a while now so pulled the trigger last night.

There is a big difference between buying what you need when you feel the winds about to change vs overbuying in hopes of sticking it to your fellow shooters when times get tough. I’ve been through enough of these cycles to know that those who wait too long miss out.

User Tag List