Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Ammo Panic / Stupidity 2023

Site Supporter
    Hell, I was 13 series, but FDC. All I could tell you was green/white/red bag with the right bag number. 🤣

Well, it ain't working

I just returned from a trip to my local Scheels, the one that was fully stocked two weeks ago.

Utter devastation. A total of three boxes of Hornady .223 on the shelf. 9mm, .38 & .357, 40, and 45 ACP defensive ammo is down by way more than half, and JHP bullets for reloading almost completely out in 223, 9mm, 38/357, 10mm/40, and 45 ACP. There is still a decent amount of 9mm plinking/promo ammo on the shelves, but almost all of the good stuff is gone. Primer availability looks good though!

Online ain't much better so far. Prices are holding steady at the stupidly high mark. This is why we stockpile.

As we enter into a new election year, please turn off all portable electronic devices and stow them until we have arrived at the gate. In preparation for landing, be certain your seat back is straight up and your seat belt is fastened. Please secure your carry-on items and stow your tray table.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    I just returned from a trip to my local Scheels, the one that was fully stocked two weeks ago.

Utter devastation. A total of three boxes of Hornady .223 on the shelf. 9mm, .38 & .357, 40, and 45 ACP defensive ammo is down by way more than half, and JHP bullets for reloading almost completely out in 223, 9mm, 38/357, 10mm/40, and 45 ACP. There is still a decent amount of 9mm plinking/promo ammo on the shelves, but almost all of the good stuff is gone. Primer availability looks good though!

Online ain't much better so far. Prices are holding steady at the stupidly high mark. This is why we stockpile.

As we enter into a new election year, please turn off all portable electronic devices and stow them until we have arrived at the gate. In preparation for landing, be certain your seat back is straight up and your seat belt is fastened. Please secure your carry-on items and stow your tray table.
    I just went in Scheels over the weekend. Shelves were stacked. Didn’t look too much through reloading because by that point I was lugging around the purchase I was making. Their regular prices on ammo aren’t great, but no worse than anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    I just went in Scheels over the weekend. Shelves were stacked. Didn’t look too much through reloading because by that point I was lugging around the purchase I was making. Their regular prices on ammo aren’t great, but no worse than anywhere else.
    I haven't been back by that way since that time but I expect they'll be pretty much restocked when I do. Maybe I can get by there today of Friday.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Traveling around north central us, shelves are full, prices are normal for recent months. Good time to stock up, shortage is coming - but none right now. If your shop doesn't have ammo, that's an internal problem.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

This won't end well. Especially with msm media reporting a terrorist attack on the border when they don't actually know what it was.

I'm not saying it wasn't but it would help if they would moderate their coverage a bit.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    This won't end well. Especially with msm media reporting a terrorist attack on the border when they don't actually know what it was.

I'm not saying it wasn't but it would help if they would moderate their coverage a bit.
    Yup. Reboot the ammo panic thread...

Maybe I should take Friday off and spend quality time with Mr. Dillon.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    Yup. Reboot the ammo panic thread...

Maybe I should take Friday off and spend quality time with Mr. Dillon.
    That's about the only way you can counter the crazy ammo shortages. Just buy what you need to roll your own.

One consequence is not being an ammo hoarder because of reports here of it just isn't happening. It will happen. Seen it twice. What more evidence does one need?

I would have to say here that most of the naysayers have access to ammo because of their LE status. That's great. The rest of us have to buy ammo on the open market.

Check the creds of the down players of ammo shortages here. I doubt they have ever had an ammo shortage. Just a guess.

I worked for a public agency for 30 years. The barrels of 40 and 9mm brass that were sold for scrap metal would make a person understand how much ammo was used. The county I worked for built an indoor pistol range. Available for all LE only including WSP.

I'm not advocating they didn't need that. But ammo availability is yugly different than LE
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-22-2023 at 09:52 PM.

deleted....

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post

I would have to say here that most of the naysayers have access to ammo because of their LE status. That's great. The rest of us have to buy ammo on the open market.

Check the creds of the down players of ammo shortages here. I doubt they have ever had an ammo shortage. Just a guess.
    I get some* ammo from work, but it doesn't take a genius to take 30 seconds to search the typical online vendors and conclude that there's no ammo shortage currently going on.

Note on the *: My agency currently allocates us 100 rounds per month for personal practice. From my talking to other LEOs, that is unusual and we represent a minority of LE agencies which allocate ammo for personal practice. From my interactions (to include commentary by people here), the vast majority of agencies tend to not allocate ammo for personal practice. LEOs typically have to buy ammo to shoot on their own just the same as you.

So, I get 100 rounds per month from my job. My average range session is 200 rounds, twice per month. Let's put that engineering background of yours to work, and use those math skills to figure out how much ammo I need to buy on my own. And that's just in our duty caliber....work typically doesn't buy me the other calibers i shoot like 380, 45 ACP, 7.5 Swiss, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, or even 38 Special (even if i was able to grab two cases of 38 when we finally laid the wheel guns to rest).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List