Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Ammo Panic / Stupidity 2023

I cannot tell you how many people that I have advised to stock up on whatever flavor was their favorite while the prices are/were good currently. This was due to the fact that we have an upcoming presidential election that will more likely than not, not be favorable for gun owners, as well as the fact that the pendulum will swing the other way as always and something major will happen, and major manufacturers will minimize components production, and concentrate only on their own stuff. This will mean there will only very limited types of ammo available, and people will snatch it up like crazy. The hoarders and scalpers will do what they do.

The time to properly deal with an emergency is before the emergency. As the saying goes, Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining. But as always, people generally only can see about a week or two ahead and that is it. When they run out of X, they will be angry and point fingers, even though they had a ton of time to deal with it well beforehand.

I did just that!

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I guess now would be a good time to grab primers
    I didn't like the price, but wtf, I say $$$ is the root of all evil & just paper & ink, but again, in my case plastic.

I have a small supply of reloading stuff and @ my age ( 74 ) I would have been ok for some time, but alas, I've got a nearly 20 year old grandson that like to shoot & hunt & reload so I pulled the trigger on a few more primers & bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    This was due to the fact that we have an upcoming presidential election that will more likely than not, not be favorable for gun owners
    Or the election will be favorable to gun owners. Saying that there is already evidence that it will be bad is just fueling the fire.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Does anyone make a reasonably priced blunderbuss these days?
    new Remington Fieldmaster is cheap.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

2024 is shaping up to be like 2020. We had a pandemic which started early in 2020 and a presidential election in the fall.

Now Hamas kicks off a war in the middle east. That will replace COVID in the last ammo drought.

We also have a dysfunctional congress to deal with now. That might affect military spending short term. That's 9mm and 5.56.

Ammo shortages are becoming longer and more frequent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Or the election will be favorable to gun owners. Saying that there is already evidence that it will be bad is just fueling the fire.
    It's really hard to say how that will transpire. Personally, I don't think much of anything will change on the federal level. People continue to worry about what the fed does when they should be focused on their state and local elections. Restrictions aren't coming from the adm. or congress. Congress can't even elect a speaker.

Just to reiterate:

We are not in an ammo shortage.

Ammo is plentiful. There's 10x as much available on the internet as even JCN or GJM can purchase. Just from Lucky Gunner, sticking to a single SKU alone, you can buy 127,000 9mm rounds.

People. Chill out.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Just to reiterate:

We are not in an ammo shortage.

Ammo is plentiful. There's 10x as much available on the internet as even JCN or GJM can purchase. Just from Lucky Gunner, sticking to a single SKU alone, you can buy 127,000 9mm rounds.

People. Chill out.
    It's unlikely that the Israelis are going to have to hit us up for 9x19 or 5.56x45. OTOH, I do see an election-based panic as likely if it appears the Dems are going to win big on a Federal level. We've got another year before then.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Does anyone make a reasonably priced blunderbuss these days?
    Depends on what you consider reasonable. Traditions make the cartoon looking type for around $400. Military Heritage has several flint ones available in the $550 to $600 range. They look OK, much better than the Traditions monstrosity. The Military Heritage ones are made in India, but are passable based on comments from people using them.

https://militaryheritage.com/muskets.htm

Old or custom made ones are of course more money, but if you can appreciate the difference, and look at it like most to their modern stuff, you get what you want and appreciate, the cost isnt the driving force. I think one would be hugely fun for use around the cabin repelling invading skunks and such. Id load it down, it sounds like many were loaded similar to 3" magnum buck loads.

For those on the outside looking in, the blunderbuss was the coach or riot gun of their day. Very short, slightly belled muzzle to make loading easier on a coach or ships deck while in an engagement. They were present in many battles on land. Some carried them under a coat or cloak. A well made one can be a work of art, the basic level ones were still very well made, just not to the degree of the better class ones. No, not exactly a practical item today, but for a properly running one, for one shot at close range they would be as effective as most shotguns with buck.

Back on topic, its not inconceivable that the ammo companies would focus on large orders if we were supplying small arms ammo to anyone in the world, and restocking reserves, but I dont think anything going on now is a really large drain on small arms ammo. Most of the panics are more about panic. Nobody wants to miss a good opportunity to freak out, and the political influencing industry fans the flames of freakout at every opportunity.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    It's unlikely that the Israelis are going to have to hit us up for 9x19 or 5.56x45. OTOH, I do see an election-based panic as likely if it appears the Dems are going to win big on a Federal level. We've got another year before then.
    I believe Israel Weapon Industries produces ammo and small arms for the IDF.

User Tag List