Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Ammo Panic / Stupidity 2023

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I have had several perfect orders from those Velocity guys over the last year or two. No problems of any sort.

What caused me pause about ordering the bulk defensive ammo from those guys is my fear that some of it may have been "reclassified" bulk ammo.

Over the last 10-15 years I have bought several lots of that "reclassified" stuff, mostly Speer as I think about it, that was rejected and never boxed due to some minor defect, cosmetic, or not enough sealant, or something that did not fully meet the contract specs it was produced for, or the manufacturer's spec for what went into LE 50 round boxes.

It always came to me in plastic bags inside cardboard boxes marked "not for duty use", but 100% of it was fine and went bang and exhibited good accuracy.

Those guys are not representing it as reclassified ammo, but whenever I see bulk stuff not in the factory 50 round boxes at a cheap price, I start wondering.

Somebody should ask them about it's origin and why it is bulk packed. I will see if I can get a response out of them.
    Interesting point.

For what it is worth I have purchased Blazer Brass from Ammoman and seen 1,000 rounds arrive in a big plastic bag inside the cardboard shipping box. It was simply bulk ammo and not reclassified to the best of my knowledge. I had no problems with that ammo.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Over the last 10-15 years I have bought several lots of that "reclassified" stuff, mostly Speer as I think about it, that was rejected and never boxed due to some minor defect, cosmetic, or not enough sealant, or something that did not fully meet the contract specs it was produced for, or the manufacturer's spec for what went into LE 50 round boxes.

It always came to me in plastic bags inside cardboard boxes marked "not for duty use", but 100% of it was fine and went bang and exhibited good accuracy.

Those guys are not representing it as reclassified ammo, but whenever I see bulk stuff not in the factory 50 round boxes at a cheap price, I start wondering.

Somebody should ask them about it's origin and why it is bulk packed. I will see if I can get a response out of them.
    It's a bit of a drive from The 'Ham but Larry's up in Huntsville used to get a bunch of that sort of thing. (Maybe they still do.) I would occasionally email Speer directly with the lot number and ask why it was reclassified. I'd usually get an answer, and the answer was almost always some variation of 'cosmetic'. I think I got one lot of .38 +P 135gr gold dot (I assume the "short barrel" load because at the time they didn't use that bullet in anything else) that didn't make velocity? But the answer could just as easily be something like "jacket too thick, bullet does not expand". And that could vary by lot, with half the ammo on the floor being 'cosmetic' and the other half being 'bullet doesn't work as intended'. The only visible difference being a lot number 99.9% of buyers don't even glance at.

Even with an answer in hand I still take "not for duty use" at face value. Hell, someone responding to the email could have transposed a digit in the lot number and simply given a well-intentioned but wrong answer. It's just not worth the risk.

Site Supporter
    I have had several perfect orders from those Velocity guys over the last year or two. No problems of any sort.

What caused me pause about ordering the bulk defensive ammo from those guys is my fear that some of it may have been "reclassified" bulk ammo.

Yes, I bought some of the bulk packed “reclassified” early G2 Gold dot a few years ago but that was in nickel cases as well.

My concern is it’s either reclassified ammo or pulled bullets loaded by someone else.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Over the years I have been issued HST “contract” ammo that has been both nickel plated and plain brass cased. Not sure why Gold Dot would be any different as I’m sure lack of nickel plating on a large order would bring the price down

Speer has loaded the gold dot in brass cases for certain contracts, pistol and rifle.

Seller should be able to could provide lot# and sku from original packaging if there's a question, can be verified by Speer.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I, personally would not buy any ammo, especially defensive ammo, that did was not in original packaging with lot numbers. Way too much "Reclassified" or rejected ammo out there. Much of it may be okay for practice but I want to know exactly what I'm buying. I see ammo for sale that is labeled "police trade-in" but is not in boxes and packaged loosely in an ammo can. I never heard of an agency that emptied all of its ammuntition of out boxes into ammo cans. Why would a seller empty the ammo out and discard the packaging? Makes me wonder the story on the ammo and why no boxes. Just seems pretty shady to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT Lt. View Post
    I, personally would not buy any ammo, especially defensive ammo, that did was not in original packaging with lot numbers. Way too much "Reclassified" or rejected ammo out there. Much of it may be okay for practice but I want to know exactly what I'm buying. I see ammo for sale that is labeled "police trade-in" but is not in boxes and packaged loosely in an ammo can. I never heard of an agency that emptied all of its ammuntition of out boxes into ammo cans. Why would a seller empty the ammo out and discard the packaging? Makes me wonder the story on the ammo and why no boxes. Just seems pretty shady to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Speer has loaded the gold dot in brass cases for certain contracts, pistol and rifle.

Seller should be able to could provide lot# and sku from original packaging if there's a question, can be verified by Speer.
    On a more serious note, like I mentioned earlier I've seen the brass case Gold Dot for sale once or twice before.

Do you know what agency they're contracted for?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Do you have any prior experience with this company?

I’m suspicious of any site that extorts an e mail address to view items.

I’ve never seen Gold Dot in brass cases.

Changing the production line would cost more than the price difference between brass and nickel cases. Something is off about this.
    I have bought from them before, item received as described, no problem.
    Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere; forget that good area bullcrap.
    "Wouldn't want to / Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Site Supporter
    If an agency were trying to cut costs, would foregoing the 50 round boxes be a likely way to do so? That would save both material and process steps.

If an ammo maker wanted to get rid of contract overrun ammo, would selling it without bothering with 50 round boxes be a reasonable way to do so?

Keep in mind that if the ammo sold by Velocity is not genuine, new Speer Gold Dot, made by Speer, that resulted from a contract overrun they are potentially engaging in trademark infringement as well as false advertising. That doesn’t make it impossible, but the reports of positive experiences by others appears to make it less likely.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Do you have any prior experience with this company?
    I buy from Velocity frequently. They're in Roanoke VA, I believe, and I'm in northern NC. I get it UPS in a day.

User Tag List