Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Presented Without Comment

Presented Without Comment

But, Navy SEAL.

Site Supporter
    Yikes. There is no good reason for that, in my opinion. Most of us have probably attended training courses that provided opportunities to engage targets with and without movement while avoiding "no-shoots" and NOT endangering anyone in such a manner.

I can think of lots of things that could go wrong, apart from the fact it is simply wrong in principle.

Way back during the Eisenhower years, my dad watched the old Jack Webb movie "The D.I.", and was impressed with the scene where the recruit has to shoot the target between Jack Webb's legs.

So, he got out his bow & arrow, a target, and my aunt and tried to reproduce the scene. Instead, he hit my aunt in the leg, and they had to go to the hospital.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

What is the added training value?

There's all sorts of training in military and LE that necessitates greater levels of risk, but generally it's because you need to teach a mission essential task, and said task requires the participants to perform learning objectives which place them at risks that you would not otherwise experience elsewhere.

In the shooting community, much ado is made about having absolutely nobody in front of the muzzle in a 180* arc. Some people have issues if an inanimate object is downrange at all, as well. In military and LE, you may encounter training where you are indeed shooting past each other, such as bounding. In quality training available to civilians, there is one very high respected instructor who is a long time member here who has students perform a seated draw next to other individuals in order to simulate drawing in a crowded environment, and practice doing so safely...he is at the side of the table instead of behind the firing line so that he can judge and correct your technique.

There's not really any other way to perform these tasks in a life fire exercise. It seems abhorrent to someone whose firearms experience is formed solely by civil sporting events, but is necessary and routinely performed without injury. To that end, the instructor I mentioned specifically prohibits students from taking photos/video of the mentioned exercise in order to avoid the peanut-gallery commentary and people taking things out of context. For bounding exercises, there general rules of thumb taught in order to judge when someone is too close to your line of fire. These are examples of risk mitigation.

However, the key is that it's necessary. So that leads me to ask, what is the training value in placing a person downrange just to be a static no-shoot? That human is not performing anything that he needs to learn by being downrange as a static no-shoot. If the only point of the exercise is to point out to people that, "IM de oNlY 1 pruffeshnul enuf tu do dis", it's probably fucking stupid and unnecessary.

So, tl;Dr, the problem here isn't "OMGZ there's someone in front of the firing line!!!1". The problem is that it's unnecessary.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

This one of the many guys I follow on IG. He does some “derpy” stuff sometimes.

My thoughts:

1) He doesn’t do this drill regularly and knows that the controversy this will cause will get him views. This is, in my opinion, why hes doing it.

2) I do think its important to, at least once, do drills where your buddy is down range. I have many times but we used airsoft or sim guns.

3) Another way to do this with live fire is to put a IDPA target at the end of a very long lightweight rod and have someone off to the side moving that rod and target in and out of your way so that you have to constantly know where your muzzle is at and where the “good guy” is at, etc.

4) Did anyone else cringe when eh said it was his “responsibility” to take out a good guy with a gun if the good guy is missing. I mean, I see what hes trying to get at but the way he phrased it…. Eww.

5) There is zero reason for the average concealed carrier to ever do anything like this with live fire. The entire point of carrying a CCW and training with it is to avoid ever getting shot by someone. I would say the chances of getting shot doing this drill for the average CCWer who decided to try it, is a lot higher than never carrying a gun and still not getting shot. In other words, this makes no damn sense.

EDIT: sent this to a jiu jitsu buddy who is former SF and he replied back “navy seals doing dumb shit. Name a better duo?” I just found that funny lol.
    Last edited by Warped Mindless; 10-15-2023 at 03:48 PM.

Site Supporter
    Didn’t we already have a thread on this goober when he was challenging Lucas from TREX Arms to a duel ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Didn’t we already have a thread on this goober when he was challenging Lucas from TREX Arms to a duel ?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Is that what this screenshot comes from?

Site Supporter
    I shot a no-shoot twice at an IDPA match earlier this week.

You gotta ask yourself… do you feel lucky?
    God Bless,

Brandon

User Tag List