Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CZ ND observed today

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    I never do single hand pickups, my reasoning being that it is impossible for me to get a proper grip on the pistol without something to support the gun while I grip it.

Now I have an additional, much better reason to keep doing that!
    It took me a while to embrace using two hands, but for guns without a slide racker or something else to prop them a little, it's the best method (so far) in terms of risk management. The fact that it also gives you a better opportunity to establish a proper firing grip from the start probably outweighs any additional time for most of us since adjust the grip on the fly tends to create other issues.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If my pistol isn't in a holster, regardless of action style or whether it has a thumb safety, it is condition 3.
    Same here. Holstered pistols all have loaded chambers and all holstered pistols go in the safe when off body. With duplicate practice and carry guns, I think this arrangement drives administrative handling of loaded pistols as close to zero as I can get.

GJM thank you for this thread. I shoot 2 idpa matches per month so out of 12 total stages I'd bet we have a table start in at least one stage per month. I will try to get them to adopt the 'unloaded gun and first mag on the table' in the future. If I am not successful, at least I can personally adopt a two handed pickup so the gun is close to vertical as my strong hand grips it. A few months ago I did have a failure to fire the second round after a loaded gun table start. Apparently I pushed down on the gun hard enough to push the mag release. Fortunately the mag stayed in the gun so the fix was fairly easy but it highlighted one problem that can occur and would be solved by a two handed pickup. Our bedroom guns are in a lockbox under the bed. I pull it out from under, leave it on the floor, and unlock it when going to bed. That leaves a box top that is easy to flip open and over but then we have two 92s laying flat inside the box. They are decocked but have a round in the chamber. A holster on each would not fit but maybe one of those slip-on trigger covers w/ a 15inch piece of paracord to the box would be a good idea.

I am reminded of this real-world example of exactly what can happen when a loose pistol is snatched in haste. Glock, in this case, but even a 12# extra-long DA trigger is nothing, compared to an average adult's grip strength in a panicked moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnoJ4uqUa1U

This post is worth the thread. I bet many bedside guns are without a holster.
    I am curious about this. As someone who's carry gun goes off their body bedside in it's enigma

This post is worth the thread. I bet many bedside guns are without a holster.
    I always have my bedside pistol in a holster, There's no telling where the pistol might have moved with my CPAP hose flopping around, plus it gives me another second to wake up as I strip the holster away. Practice this unloaded, as a dry fire drill.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Bedside unit is always holstered, and with a few extra turns of the screws.
    I will admit, my bedside sidearm never had a holster. And my current bedside doesn't either. Granted it is a little tough and ridiculous to put a holster on a carbine...... lol

But after reading this, it definitely had made me think, when and if I ever go back to having a sidearm as a bedside gun. Kids and all have complicated the bedside gun thing.
    Last edited by ubet; 12-22-2023 at 09:52 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    I am reminded of this real-world example of exactly what can happen when a loose pistol is snatched in haste. Glock, in this case, but even a 12# extra-long DA trigger is nothing, compared to an average adult's grip strength in a panicked moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnoJ4uqUa1U
    That's why the human factors folks have documented that even a DA trigger on a semi or revolver isn't enough to stop a panic, trip, yips, sympathetic grasp pull. Finger off the trigger is the thing!

Human Factors Issues in Handgun Safety and Forensics
    by Hal W. Hendrick , Paul Paradis, et al. | Nov 26, 2007

BTW, some folks claimed that their DA triggers would protect them from their little kids pulling the trigger (so they could leave the gun out). Yes, these are idiots. But for curiosity, I looked up the issue of little kid hand strength. It is well documented by the children's hand surgeons and rehab folks. Even toddlers could pull them.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    That's why the human factors folks have documented that even a DA trigger on a semi or revolver isn't enough to stop a panic, trip, yips, sympathetic grasp pull. Finger off the trigger is the thing!

Human Factors Issues in Handgun Safety and Forensics
    by Hal W. Hendrick , Paul Paradis, et al. | Nov 26, 2007

BTW, some folks claimed that their DA triggers would protect them from their little kids pulling the trigger (so they could leave the gun out). Yes, these are idiots. But for curiosity, I looked up the issue of little kid hand strength. It is well documented by the children's hand surgeons and rehab folks. Even toddlers could pull them.
    Little kids also tend to figure out they can get more leverage on the heavy triggers by turning the muzzle towards themselves and using the thumbs of both hands to press forward on the triggers. This leads to predictably tragic consequences as the muzzles are generally pointing at their chests. Kids are smarter than many adults give them credit for. They can and will find your unsecured guns and they’ll figure out how to work the triggers.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Because of my knees, I use a walker at home. Attached near the right handle is a kydex holster holding a Smith M&P 2 Compact. A heavy cotton cloth drapes over and conceals the weapon. The walker is next to my bed. A Streamlight flash light also rides on the walker. In its basket is a holstered J frame. A holstered HK rests on the night table. Behind the door is a Stoeger 3000 stoked with number 1 buck with empty chamber.

User Tag List