Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CZ ND observed today

CZ ND observed today

At a match today, our fourth stage had a table start. I was on the pad, as pat of the RO team. A talented shooter picked up his Shadow 2 CO pistol, which was hammer down, and ND'd a round into the start table. I stopped him, made sure he and everyone was OK, and then asked what happened. It turns out when he was picking up the pistol, his grip was slightly off, and his middle finger on his strong hand went into the trigger guard as opposed to below it. When he closed his hand forming his grip, his middle finger pulled the trigger.

It shows you that while a DA trigger may offer some extra safety in handling, that your normal grip is more than a DA pull.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    At a match today, our fourth stage had a table start. I was on the pad, as pat of the RO team. A talented shooter picked up his Shadow 2 CO pistol, which was hammer down, and ND'd a round into the start table. I stopped him, made sure he and everyone was OK, and then asked what happened. It turns out when he was picking up the pistol, his grip was slightly off, and his middle finger on his strong hand went into the trigger guard as opposed to below it. When he closed his hand forming his grip, his middle finger pulled the trigger.

It shows you that while a DA trigger may offer some extra safety in handling, that your normal grip is more than a DA pull.
    Did he do a one-handed pickup, or did he use his support hand to lift/lever the gun into his firing hand? I've been present for a significant number of NDs with the former, and zero with the latter. It's slower, but better risk management in my opinion.

Something to consider for all those who have a bedside gun at night, not in a holster. Because then you add picking up the gun in the dark in some cases. Seeing this happen several times in matches, on the table or even worse on the shefl below the table (a prop we used to have) is what drove me to having a fixed holster with a thumb snap near the bed for that purpose.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Anytime you pick up a loaded unholstered gun in a hurry you are subject to a surprise boom.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino on INGO View Post
    Did he do a one-handed pickup, or did he use his support hand to lift/lever the gun into his firing hand? I've been present for a significant number of NDs with the former, and zero with the latter. It's slower, but better risk management in my opinion.
    Tried to use two, but then migrated to one hand. My wife lays the gun opposite, and uses her support hand to place the gun into her strong hand. This avoids depressing the mag release and gives an optimal grip at the cost of some extra time.

would like to know the DA trigger weight on the shadow 2, was the gun modified?
    we have six lanes at our club, every bench has a couple bullet skips in them. I believe its from people picking their guns up with their booger picker on the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Something to consider for all those who have a bedside gun at night, not in a holster. Because then you add picking up the gun in the dark in some cases. Seeing this happen several times in matches, on the table or even worse on the shefl below the table (a prop we used to have) is what drove me to having a fixed holster with a thumb snap near the bed for that purpose.
    This post is worth the thread. I bet many bedside guns are without a holster.

Site Supporter
    Bedside unit is always holstered, and with a few extra turns of the screws.

My bedside gun is always holstered.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This post is worth the thread. I bet many bedside guns are without a holster.
    My practice is to keep the bedside gun holstered in the quick access safe and a chest rig holster hanging from the safe with a light attached. Bedtime dress is not always AIWB compatible and the chest rig offers a safe and visible reholstering option without the reaching to the beltline motion associated with an Enigma. Keeping the bedside gun in the chest rig or Enigma gives too many entanglement risks coming out of the safe.

User Tag List