Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm not much more than a 4MOA shooter

I mostly agree with the above. However, the 10 or so personal and issued M4's I've had (11.5, 14.5, and 16") all shot right about 2moa with green tip. Some a little worse, none really any better, though buddies of mine have occasionally had legit 1moa guns issued to them. Pure chance, and they were above average shooters to boot. Green tip is not exactly accurate stuff, but I would be disappointed if my gun didn't produce 2moa with whatever my duty load was. I have a chrome lined Centurion Arms upper that is a 1moa gun with good ammo, no idea what it will do with green tip. If you want more accuracy out of a chrome lined gun, I'd go to Monty. Very reasonable prices and excellent quality.

I don't expect better than TRUE 4 MOA accuracy out of that configuration. I know I can do better (not just on the internet) and like SLG, have personal guns/ammo combinations that shoot much better. But on any given run of the mill day, straight out the gates, cold bore, I might get miffed or pout at a 4 MOA performance, but I will take 4 Minute accuracy @ combat carbine distances ALL DAY LONG if the other end of the range consists of people shooting back.

ETA: also concur with SLG's recommendation on Centurion Builds. No, he is not big name. No he doesn't build a ton of guns. But I absolutely trust his guns for hard, real world use, to save mine or someone else's life. Monty builds good stuff, and has been off to see the elephant a few times so he knows why what he builds matters to his customers.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 11-06-2012 at 09:50 PM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I don't expect better than TRUE 4 MOA accuracy out of that configuration. I know I can do better (not just on the internet) and like SLG, have personal guns/ammo combinations that shoot much better. But on any given run of the mill day, straight out the gates, cold bore, I might get miffed or pout at a 4 MOA performance, but I will take 4 Minute accuracy @ combat carbine distances ALL DAY LONG if the other end of the range consists of people shooting back.

ETA: also concur with SLG's recommendation on Centurion Builds. No, he is not big name. No he doesn't build a ton of guns. But I absolutely trust his guns for hard, real world use, to save mine or someone else's life. Monty builds good stuff, and has been off to see the elephant a few times so he knows why what he builds matters to his customers.
    Another shameless plug for Monty. He built me a MK12 Mod 1 upper a few years ago and it's surpassed my expectations in every way. It's the last upper I'd ever part with.

This is something that i've been trying to fight for a while. I have a similar set up to the OP, and fluctuate from 2-4 MOA. Lately--i've been closer to 4 MOA, while shooting from prone. I shoot almost m855 and wolf 62 grain ammo almost exclusively. The accuracy difference between the two for me is about .5-1MOA (with my setup). The conclusions that i made are as follows:

When dealing with surplus ammo/rifle, expect the military accuracy standard--which is seldom in the 1-2 MOA range.

At the same time, i can ping an 8 inch plate at 100 yards from the kneeling position all day long.

Not to de-rail the topic, but this makes the issue of accuracy between ak74 and AR15 moot when evaluated based on service ammo.

***NOTE: all my semi auto rifles are now AR15s.

I would appreciate if anyone with experience could chime in.
    Last edited by iakdrago; 11-07-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iakdrago View Post

When dealing with surplus ammo/rifle, expect the military accuracy standard--which is seldom in the 1-2 MOA range.
    The requirement is 4 MOA over gun on green tip.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    The requirement is 4 MOA over gun on green tip.
    Green tip sucks.

Usually you can count on it to go bang, though.

User Tag List